Creating new OS partition

Jake

In Runtime
So I upgraded to a new SSD, but I had an existing Windows install on C:, so I set the ssd to F:...but then I had problems installing drivers, so it might be best if I make a new C partition for the ssd and reinstall windows on it. I'm not sure how to do this. Any ideas?

OK I managed to create a C: partition on the ssd, copied from the original and set to active. Using Easus Partition Master, if I set it to wipe the first partition when it reboots, will it automatically boot to the second one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to simplify this,
disconnect all your drives except or your ssd drive, set your bios to ahci for best performance on the ssd. Format the drive, most drives are small so using a partition probably is not your best option. Use the drive as one single partition. Install your favorite flavor operating system on the ssd and after that connect all your other drives. Go into your bios and set the ssd drive as the first device in the boot order and you should have the o.s. on the ssd and your other drives for data. You can then set windows to use the mechanical drive(s)for data storage.

note; you can still dual boot to the o.s. on the mechanical drive by selecting which drive to boot into during p.o.s.t. Usually one of the F keys on your keyboard gives you this choice to select a drive to boot into

Last edited:
I was hoping to avoid a complete reinstall of everything. A sata drive was using c:, so when I installed the ssd I chose f:...when things weren't working right, I deleted c: and made a c: partition on the ssd and copied the OS and page file and made it an active system partition. But it still boots to the old one.

Basically I just want to boot to the new partition and get rid of the old one, but I can't delete or reformat it. I copied the boot files with bcdboot, but when I go to msconfig, it only shows the one boot partition.

I may have to do a complete reinstall.

Try using Acronis to copy your C: drive. It has never done me wrong.

I reformatted. I don't think it's possible to do what I was trying to. I managed to copy the boot files and format the old partition, but when I booted into the new one, all the programs were gone.

Back
Top Bottom