crazy re-installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

urbanwks

Baseband Member
i have never come across anything like this problem i'm having.

every once in a while, i'll wipe my primary hard drive and reinstall xp, just because sometimes it's easier for me to clean up that way. anyway, my secondary hdd houses all of my application install files, music, video, etc...basically anything and everything i would need or want to keep if i reformatted or something happened.

so today i format and re-install xp, and about the second time i rebooted chkdsk starts running and begins to fix a rather large amount of "problems" on drive d:[my seconday hdd]. now, it seems an unspecified amount of files on this drive are now corrupt, including programs, music and video.

even more interesting, it seemed to only affect these files that i have aqcuired within maybe the last month or so, and unless i'm mistaken, they are all files i have downloaded on another computer on my network and transferred to this pc.

i have done absolutely nothing to this secondary drive throughout this process, so i am at a loss. any ideas why this has happened, or more importantly, what i can do to fix it, if anything?

i have tried running chkdsk again, to no avail.

it might be a physical problem with the disk platter so it could be unfixable. You may not come across any problem but i would keep a regular backup in case the drive is on its last legs.

Try formatting again or using some zero fill tools.

Many manufactures offer diagnostic tools to test their hard drives for reliability and errors such as bad blocks. Go to their website and download their diagnostic tools.

-GrayWolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom