CPU usage 100% - Randomly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only other thing you can do is start killing processes one at a time until it goes away. The only thing that I've ever seen cause this sort of problem was when ms first came out with 'automatic update checking'. I seriously doubt thats the problem now, ms has changed that auto update quite a bit, and 1.2 ghz shouldn't be stressing under that.

I have dsl through sbc, knowing how flaky they can be, I'd never install their software. I used to use a 4 year old program so I didn't have to. winxp has a pppoe built in so your don't have to install anything, so if you can get xp do it..... hmmmm ok you have to use a pppoe client to connect, do you know what the client your using is? Does the cpu thing happen before you connect?

dsl software sucks. I would reload the operating system to start off fresh then use internet explorer to dial in the initial connection or buy a router and use PPPoE then youll never have to dial in.

he can't use internet explorer to dial in the connection because hes running win2k, and it doesn't do pppoe natively like winxp does.

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help, but nothing seems to be working. I talked with my friend and he is going to help me buy a Net Gear router and go in that way. I can't seem to find any other solution at this point.

hey you did not say which process it taking over your processor resources if it is SVCHOST.EXE count how many are there they should be no more than 6 and no one with your name3 as a user name if it exist kill it

Problem Solved!

Thanks for the info. Problem solved.

I went ahead and hooked up a 2Wire router with PPPoE preinstalled on it -- it works great.

For anyone else who has this problem, this seems like a really good solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom