CPU much hotter after Win 10

Twizted_3kgt

Daemon Poster
I just installed Windows 10 tonight and played some BF4. After a few minutes I notice my cpu case is a small space heater that's so hot it hurts to touch. CPU temp got up to 77C (TjMax 80C), GPU was 84C. So I thought basics first, clean the fans. Did that and went back into BF4 and got the same temperatures. CPU usage averaged around 60% on all 8 cores, so that seems normal.

Prior to Win 10, the highest temps I saw in BF4 were sub-70C for CPU and sub-80C for GPU. I did some Googling and brought some results from Steam users having the same issue, even with a water cooled setup. No answers though.

Any insight here?

It's a mid size case with decent airflow, 2 80mm intakes in front, 1 80mm intake on top, and a 120mm exhaust on back. 120mm CPU fan blows directly into the exhaust fan. The only thing I don't like is the gpu fans blow into bottom of the case and the air isn't being forced anywhere down there. I feel like taking off the side cover would stop the airflow through the case...

Now that you mention it, I wonder if moving the whole computer to a more open area would help. It's somewhat in a corner.

I was just concerned that Windows 10 was doing something to stress the system crazy. Never had a heat issue before I installed it.

Last edited:
That case isn't really good at all for air-flow... ESPECIALLY with your graphics card... Remove the side panel and see whats happening. No point in relocating the PC right now.

It's a mid size case with decent airflow, 2 80mm intakes in front, 1 80mm intake on top, and a 120mm exhaust on back. 120mm CPU fan blows directly into the exhaust fan. The only thing I don't like is the gpu fans blow into bottom of the case and the air isn't being forced anywhere down there. I feel like taking off the side cover would stop the airflow through the case...

Now that you mention it, I wonder if moving the whole computer to a more open area would help. It's somewhat in a corner.

I was just concerned that Windows 10 was doing something to stress the system crazy. Never had a heat issue before I installed it.
Unless you're running some Detlas, Vantecs, or some Thermaltake SF2s then your 80s aren't really doing much.

Also, the GPU fans are pushing air through the heatsinks dumping all the hot air into your already saturated case.

You are both correct. Removing the side panel made a huge difference. Temps dropped 15C and stayed there. Put the panel back on and they slowly creep up into the 70's. Looks like my case is too small for the amount of heat going on in there.

I do have some Vantec Tornado's but they're in a box because I don't like the sound of a vacuum cleaner.

So why is this problem present now, after Windows 10 and not before?

Last edited:
Could be a bit of a driver issue too, it's the software that picks up when to ramp up the fan. Try downloading something like EVGA precision and set up your own fan curve (so when it gets to around 70-80 the fan is going nearly full speed)

Back
Top Bottom