CPU Affinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan64

In Runtime
Not sure if this is the right place but here goes:

What is the best way to change CPU affinity and is it even worth the trouble?

Can I do it in windows or do I have to go third party?

You right click on the process you want to set the affinity on see my "64 bit discussion" link on my sig.
affinity_gaming.jpg

Another question.

If I change the affinity of a program to only use CPU1, will that setting remain after a restart?

Is there a way to change the affinity of a program that is not running. Say I wanted game X to always use CPU 1, can I do that?

Frankly no it isn't. It shows processes that are already running and one of my questions was related to programs that are not presently running.

there are a number of different ways to set you affinty i assume you want to set it cuz some of your games arent working right this happened to me the dual core ****es me off sometime and you can do it from the task manager i found that only somewhat affective there is a program to automatically do everything for you http://www.majorgeeks.com/WinLauncherXP_d870.html

I have not tried the above utility yet, but as I suspected the affinity assignments to stay if you close the program and restart. Does the above program let you do that or does it have to be done EVERYTIME you use that program?

I tried WinlauncherXP and it works great. Just what I was looking for. I didn't realize it could also set processor priority as well as affinity.

I set Photoshop to run on CPU 0 and Illustrator and Indesign to run on CPU 1. Very cool. Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom