Couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossy1881

Banned
1. Which software is considered better spywareblaster or super antispyware pro? Can either run with eset security suite or is it even necessary to?

2. What is the easiest, cheapest way to trasfer large amounts of data between 2 PC's if you don't want to network them? Say data over 800MB.

3. [Hmmm... let's not get that close to the line]

cheers

1) spywareblaster

2) Network is better but if you cant or wont network, upload it to rapid share or something.

3) [Hmmm... let's not get that close to the line]

1. Your choice. Either will run with Eset, and is a good idea. An AV looks for viruses, not spyware.

2. If nothing else, burn it and hand it to the person (or mail it). At home we use flash drives a lot. One of these days I'll try to get the network communicating again, but not today. Saxon's suggestion of Rapidshare would work, too, especially if you wanted to send it to several.

3. You should scan EVERYTHING you download from a source that you do not explicitly trust.

Yes, I was thinking this way on number 2. I have one PC with usb port and one without so I guess I would have to go with the following: 1 flash drive (how much for a decent, cheap one? How much data will it hold), USB adapter (for older PC, How much for 1 of these?) and I also will want a DVD burner (internal)? In all, what do you guys think I will have to spend?

cheers

The total price would be more than that computer is worth, a IDE DVD-RW drive runs at about £20 - £25 an a PCI USB card is about £5 - £20 depending where you shop. Honestly I think it's time to junk that computer it's not worth spending the money to upgrade it.

You can get a new PC without the monitor to reduce the cost at about the £250 mark if you shop around a little, I can't stress enough how much that computer needs to be scraped.

Ide dvd-rw is for another, newer computer. PCI-usb is for that computer only. This PC is a test envir. PC.

Mak213, what do you think the price would be for everything?

cheers

The total price would be more than that computer is worth, a IDE DVD-RW drive runs at about £20 - £25 an a PCI USB card is about £5 - £20 depending where you shop. Honestly I think it's time to junk that computer it's not worth spending the money to upgrade it.

You can get a new PC without the monitor to reduce the cost at about the £250 mark if you shop around a little, I can't stress enough how much that computer needs to be scraped.

Hello,

I fully agree with Saxon. If you want a test enviroment. There is VMWare to use.

Cheers,
Mak

Well, I disagree with the other guys. I have found good uses for old computers. I took one old computer that most people would scrap and I made it into a good computer for my little boy to use. He can get on his kids websites and he can play his little kid games. Don't scrap it just because a few people told you to.

To answer your question, a USB card is about $10, and a dual layer dvd +- rw is about $27 if you order them online. Pricewatch.com is always a great place to look.

If you have good uses for your old computer, don't scrap it. But one thing Mak213 said is true. If you are only using it for testing OS's, etc., and you have plenty of hard drive space on your main computer, you could check out vmware. It's pretty amazing what you can do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom