Couple problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ksingler

In Runtime
Ok, so basically what happened was that my old computer that I left at home has became toast due to younger siblings who are computer dumb. Here's the problem:

When I go to turn on the pc everything goes smooth until after the black windows XP screen where it's about to go to the blue welcome screen, instead it shows these two messages:
ssiEfr.e program not found – skipping autocheck
lsdelete program not found – skipping autocheck

Now I looked those up and if I read right, they aren't much of a problem. But the computer would restart automatically after you see those two messages.

Family did say that they used ccleaner and did the clean up for the registry and said yes to all w/o making backups. So for those two things, is there anything I can do? The pc doesn't go past the black windows XP screen.

I tried to do some things but got nowhere, although I did see a screen that says STOP: c0000218 {registry file failure}. So I looked that up as well and took the instructions on how to recover the registry through the recovery console which I will do later today.

Will fixing that c000218 error allow me to actually logon onto windows?

Does it boot into safe mode? If so, try running some A/V scans just to be safe. If a system restore doesn't get you anywhere, I suggest doing a repair install of XP if you have the CD. If you don't I am sure you can find one for download and use the product key on the machine. Or you can use Magic Jelly Bean to find the key for your installation. If you can get into Windows that is.

Maka: I'll try this repair install that you're talking about.

SuperDave: It doesn't want to boot into safe mode either, before or after i started trying to fix the problem.

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting is where I got the instructions to fix the c0000218 error on the Microsoft site, and I got passed the first step of instructions, but when it tells you that you have to log onto safe mode to start the 2nd step, i cant do it because the pc won't allow me to. I think i've made it worse because now I don't even get to the blue screen showing me the two errors that it did, now the screen just turns black after it shows the windos xp bar line screen.

I do remember doing a restore point on either my spyware blaster or spyware guard programs, don't think I ever did one on my AVG. Also I don't recall doing any backup on anything on the computer(which is fine cause I have school work on my jump drive).

So what do you think I should do? I'm ok with reformatting the hard drive, but I mean if theres something i can do to fix this problem and not wip the hard drive clean without going to a computer shop, that would be best.

Sorry for the double post, I went to edit my last post to add something, and I didnt see my original post so I posted it again.

I have the upgrade windows XP cd, but not the windows 98 cd that I had to put in after the upgrade cd for the first time I installed windows xp, but I do have the floppy disk of windows 98, that will work right?

edit 2:00pm pacific time: I looked up for the instructions of the repair install, it looks great. I'm going to try that out when i get home. Thanks for the suggestions maka and sDave

With a XP repair install you do not need the 98 stuff. Just the XP disc. The upgrade disk should work just fine.

Ok, thanks, im going home now to try it out now.

The repair install didn't work for me, for some reason when I get passed the first screen(pressing enter) then I hit the f8 to agree, the next blue screen it says it doesn't recognize windows XP already installed on the computer so a repair option isnt there. Is this because I'm using an "upgrade" windows xp home cd? Because the hard drive is in good condition, I did chkdsk in recovery console and that said it was in good condition or w/e it says, and I also went to advanced options boot (where all the kinds of options to boot are safe mode, safe mode with networking etc, I tried to boot it up with, crap, I forget which, but it was the one before debugging mode, it took me to a blue screen saying that it was like booting up in safe mode but the screen just turns black and tells me that the C: volume is clean.

My friend has a full version windows xp cd, I hope that is what the problem is, if not.. any ideas?

It turns out that my friends windows CD is actually professional, not home.. will this still work?

No, you can't do a repair of Pro using a Home disk or the other way around. Been there, tried that.
Try taking your H/D cables off and reconnecting them again. Both from the drive and the MOBO.

Dave: I tried what you suggested with taking the cables out on the HDD and mobo, that didn't seem to work. I think it has to be because I'm using an upgrade XP cd, not the full version cd. I don't think the hard drive is corrupted because all of the scans and test i've ran to in and out of recovery console say it's all clean and in good condition. So I just have to find a full version windows xp cd somewhere.

Or is there something else that I'm missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom