couple problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
a couple things i cant figure out how to fix:

1/ i cant run dos. when i type cmd into run, the screen does open but its completely blank. what to do?
2/ control-alt-del doesnt work either. huh?
3/ quicktime opens up on the startup. how can i disable this? ive checked the startup menu and the preferences, its not in either.

do help please :)
dan

sorry forgot to his the 'email notification' button so need to create new post. any simpler way of doing this?

Which vesion of Windows are you running? If you're running Windows 2000 or above you will not be able access DOS.

Also for the quicktime problem try running msconfig and disabling it in the Statup tab.

its XP but ive run it on this before. and in fact the screen opens up, it just screws up for some reason, so this can in fact run it.

trying quicktime next...

ok i disabled qttask lets hope thats it. ill find out at next restart!

First we need to clarify something..are you trying to run DOS or simply use the XP command prompt? They are differnt. If you do START>RUN>cmd it should trigger the cmd.exe program..If you do START>RUN>command it should trigger the command.com program (real DOS).

What happens if you manually launch the cmd.exe from the system32 folder? same result?

As for the quick time BS you can disable this in the control panel>quicktime>advance>uncheck install quicktime icon in system tray.

CTR-ALT-DLT is a function than can be edited out or removed if you are not a certain level privelaged user. Are you an administrator on this machine?

First we need to clarify something..are you trying to run DOS or simply use the XP command prompt? They are differnt. If you do START>RUN>cmd it should trigger the cmd.exe program..If you do START>RUN>command it should trigger the command.com program (real DOS).

ahhh! that dos part i didnt know. thanks!

btw how do you navigate in dos? like if there's a directory with 2 words in it, how would i access that? cd then what? today when i was in my personal documents and settings directory, its funny if i hit 'dir' id get one page, if i hit 'dir/ad' id still get about a page of stuff, only this time its directories. but those directories dont appear if i dont hit the /ad. funny....any ideas?

As for the quick time BS you can disable this in the control panel>quicktime>advance>uncheck install quicktime icon in system tray.
ok done! does that actually stop it from loading whatever it did tho? or did it never load anything?
CTR-ALT-DLT is a function than can be edited out or removed if you are not a certain level privelaged user. Are you an administrator on this machine?
im not sure...im the only one who uses it so i assume so. and at the startup screen mine is the only name there.
What happens if you manually launch the cmd.exe from the system32 folder? same result?

OHHH interesting! that worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom