Could I use Windows Server as OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvoss

Baseband Member
I'm not familiar with Windows Server 2008 but would it be at all possible to use it as the OS system on a new computer. I'm not really interested in any of the server functionality, just how would it work with an OS. Would it be able to run all the games? Are there any major downfalls to this?

The reason I'm asking is I can get a free copy through the Microsoft Dreamspark program and this would save me $100 on my next build.

Many people here are doing that. It takes a bit more steps to configure it, but a lot of people here like it. As for games and such...not sure, will have to wait for somebody to respond that uses it with games.

The game aspect would be my main concern as the main purpose of my next computer will be gaming.

I also have another question if anyone knows about this. My next computer will replace my current desktop which has a copy of xp on it. Would I be able to use that copy of xp and put it on my new machine. The purpose of this would be to then install an upgrade version of Windows Vista Ultimate that I can pick up for $65.

I know Vista has protection from using it on multiple computers. I don't want to do anything illegal but I wouldn't think using it on my new machine would be doing anything wrong since I would stop using my old machine.

Would this be doable? Does anyone have experience in this? What is my best route Server 2008 or Ultimate?

in my opnion server 08 was faster than xp on startup and shut down. now ultimate takes like a whole 30 sec to boot up. but server 08 would make a great gaming os.

Sweet thanks for the replies guys. Well I guess I'll save myself some money and use Server 2008. Heh I guess my tuition isn't completely wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom