This could be a big problem for others microsoft essentials and windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using it for a couple weeks now (MSE), and no problems that I know of, and I scan every few days. Oh and you would think I was an antivirus program salesman tonight at work, some guy I work with says he doesn't use AV protection and I was like wtf ?!? So I told him about the dangers of doing so and told him about AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials, and basically, the whole need to have a freaking AV program ! lol

Anyway, I digress... I was considering putting Zone Alarm on this computer because i have used it in the past and liked it for the most part. I have WIndows 7 and MSE, so if I do try it, I will try to remember to post back here to say how it went.

And thanks for the heads up, Mike !

MSE is Microsoft's stand alone protection software. But it is much more than just a anti-virus. It combines the anti-virus, anti-malware (The Malware scanning engine from teh monthly scanning tool is included) along with the Anti-Spyware engine from Defender has been beefed up and included in this as well.

Once you install MSE Windows disables Defender. It is no longer used as MSE is far greater. It combines the efforts of 3 scanning tools into 1. There are many topics about MSE around. I know i have created one here along with at least 2 or 3 of them in the virus area about this very same subject.

I have been using it for a couple weeks now (MSE), and no problems that I know of, and I scan every few days. Oh and you would think I was an antivirus program salesman tonight at work, some guy I work with says he doesn't use AV protection and I was like wtf ?!? So I told him about the dangers of doing so and told him about AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials, and basically, the whole need to have a freaking AV program ! lol

Anyway, I digress... I was considering putting Zone Alarm on this computer because i have used it in the past and liked it for the most part. I have WIndows 7 and MSE, so if I do try it, I will try to remember to post back here to say how it went.

And thanks for the heads up, Mike !
The people that say they don't use AV are the same ones that say they don't have virus's, but i guarantee if they scanned with any reputable program they would find they do have some infection. I too work with a guy that doesn't use AV and i'm blown away (especially since we both are IT professionals at our employer).

"I don't need AV software, i just reformat every other week."

Amazing yet not amazing. Seems fairly common. This guy said he was going to check out one or the other AV I mentioned above, and I said you can guarantee there are some things on that drive. Tonight I imagine I will find out if he dl'ed and scanned an AV program, and the results.

ZA is a great firewall, but this is not the first time it has locked horns with other programs. I used to use it before I had a router with a firewall and found that it would do things without being told to do so... like disabling stuff and block stuff.

I have found (for others) that Comodo Personal is a really good firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom