This could be a big problem for others microsoft essentials and windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
For the past 6 1/2 weeks I've been running windows 7 professional pefectly I've been using zone alarm 9.1 and avast free home edition.
This all started up on monday evening at 9:50pm when I decided to take down avast for about a week and see how windows 7, zone alarm and microsoft essentials did on it's own.
I didn't realize it right away, but when I downloaded microsoft essentials from microsoft's website and installed it.
When it had finished I rebooted my machine and upon start up, the minute microsoft essentials came online with startup programs my computer did a very hard freeze I didn't know what the problem was at first but I had to begin eliminating certain updates from windows uninstalled zone alarm 9 system mechanic 9, even java and recently installed drivers. none of them was the problem.
It had gotten so bad that I had reinstall windows 7 via usb memory card because my dvd-rw got knocked out from all the ruckus.
Eventually at 12:45am today I got everything back up and running again.
As soon as I put microsoft essentials on there and it "DOWNLOADED" a program update it was right back at locking up the pc.

For anyone who might handled this problem or windows 7 beta do you know why it's doing this ?
Directed @Mak: do you know if there might be a specific software conflicts problem between 7 and microsofts antivirus program ?

No, what I was asking was this problem that I had discovered in the near end beta stages of windows 7when microsoft and it testers tested out all programs including microsoft antivirus against windows 7 before it got released ?

I did a search on google and some say the problems have occured during their testing of windows 7 beta and the antivirus and some others have not.

I already stated a couple threads ago I bought windows 7 the day it went public.

I use 7 and essentials and have been for a few months now without issue, on two computers.

Could this issue be with zonealarm and not 7 or essentials?

No way lex by all means it's not ZA.
When I had reinstalled windows 7 pro and put microsoft essentials on it and I got on the net it totally did another hard freeze again like las time....

I'll send you a pm with the link stating that problem, right now I am fixing my mom's notebook I'll be back on later.

Ya because i have essentials on my laptop which is running ultimate and on my desktop which is running pro and haven't ever had that freezing issue. I have all updates on both PC's.

Well I did some more research about the matter of Zone alarm and Microsoft essentials going at one another.
About 75% of the lasts 2 post you were correct, but when I put windows 7 back on my pc and just the antivirus itself I connected to the internet to read ny mail before IE8 finished loading the pages it nutted up again with the same freeze problem with zone alarm nowhere insight.
I talked with zone alarm tech support and they said they are aware of this problem and currently working with microsoft to find some sort of solution.

Until avast will stay on the system for a little while and the issue is fixed.

**** I gotta admit it thought I had got hit again with a parasite or trojan horse but that thankfully wasn't the problem :)

There is no issue with Windows 7 and MSE. I have used MSE in Beta and Final stages on the Win7 Beta, Win7 RC and Win7 Final. Yes i installed the Beta Build 7000 again using some tricks to not have the time bomb go off for this test.

There would be a conflict between MSE and ZA. Depending on the version of ZA used, the AV version or the Internet Security Suite it would conflict with MSE's ability to do certain things. This is due to ZA's Firewall features. MSE has built in firewall grants for the Windows firewall but not ZA so when you first start up MSE after install it tries to access the internet and get updated but ZA would block it. That would be the start of the issues.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co.../en-us/Search.aspx?s=Zone Alarm&type=Software

Zone Alarm is not listed as being compatible. But the AV is.

Windows 7: Consumer security software providers

So this would lead me to the conclusion that there is a issue with trying to run MSE with the ZA Firewall as it would cause a conflict.

Thank you for the information mak makes sense to see why zone alarm pro 9.1 and MSE with a firewall and antivirus would start going at it.
I must have been mistaken last month because when I looked MS site for mse I thought it would be only a antivirus alone and no firewall.
I know your kind of puzzled why I am thinking this, but from my past problems when I was in college my network teacher told me that firewalls don't like each other due to setups and coding
Plus it will cause blue screens or the occasional crash and reinstall if windows or any other os gets to unstable to fighting just like AV are like oil and water.

Let me ask this did microsoft release a stand alone antiviris ? thats probably why I had encounterted this problem of not knowing and reading it all the way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom