Costly Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoDeR

Baseband Member
Here is my problem a few days ago my comp had a BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) i thought nothing of it and restarted my computer. Only when it booted up it went through the BIOS and to the Windows Logo with a scrolling bar but then rebooted.

I took out the hard drive and put it into another comp thats motherboard, BIOS and everything else definatly work when i boot the broken hard drive on that it goes through the BIOS then says
NO SIGNAL
CHECK CABLE
A D I
I can accsess the files on the broken hard drive by making it a slave to another so i could save everything i need except programs because you cant export them and i could reinstall Windows, but i really just want to fix it.
It sounds like the boot of Windows is corrupt ???

Start from your XP CD, enter recovery console [press R], and use the commands "fixmbr" and "fixboot". Also do a scandisk "chkdsk /p".

When I type some of those commands it says I could render the drive inacsessable!! should i contiue and is that the correct sequence I've heard of this once before but there was a small difference it wanst this straight forward, but i cant remember.

Basicly should I continue and Is that what I should type exactly

thanks for all the quick help

In the other PC your XP wont boot. It has a different configuration than what it was installed with and there for wont work. It needs to be in the original PC in order for those commands to work.

If not on the 2nd PC a format and fresh install is required.

CoDeR said:
When I type some of those commands it says I could render the drive inacsessable!! should i contiue and is that the correct sequence I've heard of this once before but there was a small difference it wanst this straight forward, but i cant remember.

Basicly should I continue and Is that what I should type exactly

thanks for all the quick help

Dunno, those commands should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom