Corrupt regisrty hive in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADR

Solid State Member
The background to my problem is:-

I have an operating system installed by my employer who uses CAT client. With the CAT client they can send out regular updates when I connect using my VPN. Recently, the updates have not been carried out succesfully, and after my last succesful startup, a message in the system tray advised me to do a chkdsk. I followed the instructions and as expected the chkdsk is required on the c: drive so it would need to be restarted in order to start. I restarted and chkdsk begin, it fixed or deleted a couple of iles (My fault for not paying attention), system restarted again and chkdsk started but hangs (no HD activity) at Stage 1 20%. If I esc to cancel chkdsk, it gave me the error about a corrupt regisrty hive. Unable to start using safe mode or last known configuration. I have tried loading the windows Xp CD to access the recovery console but it doesn't see the hard drive (possibly corrupt). I have an external portable drive which connects via USB, I have set boot sequence to CD first so that I can load windows onto the external drive, so that in the end I maybe able to recover data from the internal drive before formatting and loading windows. The problem I have is that Windows setup sees the external drive and creates a partition and copies files to the drive, it then reboots and the windows splash screen appears, then a blue screen with:- STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF895A640, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).
Can anyone suggest why I get the STOP error, what could be prventing me from loading windows on to the external HD?

It's a Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E8020. I have made some progress with this problem. The error that I was receiving while trying to load windows onto the External drive is due to the drivers required for SATA AHCI. I have been on the Fujitsu Siemens website and found a sections that explains that I need to load the drivers at the F6 prompt when the windows cd loads. The floppy drive I have is not compataible (as per the site) to load the SATA AHCI drivers as it will give me a prompt later ""load Intel Application Drivers". A recommended floppy is required.
I have the Drivers and Utilities disk at home, not much good to me there while I'm away in the USA for another 2 weeks. If I had the utilities disk I could probably run diagnostics check of the internal drive, therefore telling it to ignore the bad sector. Can I use any disk checker? If so, which one? and does it load from a floppy, or bootable CD?

Another point to add, when I install the SATA AHCI drivers at the F6 prompt after starting the windows CD, I can now see the internal SATA drive, that I couldn't see before. However, as mentioned before, the system is built as a CAT client, therefore, I dont have the administrators password to enter recovery console.

do a repair

XP Repair install

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

I have tried what you advised above:-

Ran XP setup - had to interupt with F6 to load SATA AHCI drivers so that the hard drive would be recognised for setup. If I don't do this, setup does not see the hard drive.

I select repair and the next screen informs me that a previous attempt to repair this drive has occurred. I given 3 options:-

1)Retry upgrading selecting enter
2)Continue installing a fresh copy of windows without repairing
3)Quit setup

Option 2 above can not be used as I have a CAT version loaded from my employer.

I selected to retry repair, then it checks drive c and hangs at 5%. I think because it has a bad sector.

I cannot use revcovery console to carryout chkdsk as I don't have the admin pwd.

Do you know if its possible to load windows onto an external USB Hard drive so that I could then view the contents of the internal SATA drive from explorer.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

dont choose the recovery console...

Sorry I've misled you above. I selected enter first then F8 to accept license. A version of windows is visible and then I selected repair. That took onto the window with the 3 options. The repair process stopped at 5% and hangs.

well looks like to me, you are going to have to wipe everything out and start over. Id get a bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com, get the windows 98 oem version, fdisk and format then try again.

If I can repair a bad sector with a disk utility, that should allow me to carryout the repair process you advised above, shouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom