Core 2 Duo the best processor? What about Vista? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
This is sparta!

Default Core 2 Duo the best processor? What about Vista?

is it true that i will have to buy a new Windows Vista Ultimate for a Core 2 Duo processor? Help me out please! I'm planning to upgrade out of my Pentium 4.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to Vaanish
Default Re: Core 2 Duo the best processor? What about Vista?

I am 99% sure that you will not. It only matters for when you change your mobo.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

You won't need Vista Ultimate for a C2D. Even Windows XP and maybe Windows 2000 will support dual core processors, and all versions of Vista do. If you already have a copy of XP, it will work on your new Core 2 Duo, but if you're getting a 64 bit processor (which I think the C2D is, not big on Intel chips), you might want to at least get a 64-bit edition of Windows XP or Windows Vista. It's not necessary (64 bit chips can run 32 bit OS'es just fine) but if you want to get the most out of your 64-bit CPU and be able to run 64-bit applications, then it's recommended.

Personally, I still recommend XP, as it's more reliable and older applications work better on it. I would only go to Vista if I were going to get a DX10 compatible graphics card and play BioShock or Crysis or whatever on it.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to Vaanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
You won't need Vista Ultimate for a C2D. Even Windows XP and maybe Windows 2000 will support dual core processors, and all versions of Vista do. If you already have a copy of XP, it will work on your new Core 2 Duo, but if you're getting a 64 bit processor (which I think the C2D is, not big on Intel chips), you might want to at least get a 64-bit edition of Windows XP or Windows Vista. It's not necessary (64 bit chips can run 32 bit OS'es just fine) but if you want to get the most out of your 64-bit CPU and be able to run 64-bit applications, then it's recommended.

Personally, I still recommend XP, as it's more reliable and older applications work better on it. I would only go to Vista if I were going to get a DX10 compatible graphics card and play BioShock or Crysis or whatever on it.
I think he means that he has currently got a P4 and Vista Ultimate. He wants to know if he will have to buy a new copy if he swaps out his old processor for a C2D. But the OPs post was rather vague.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ah. Not sure on that one. If you have a valid COA for a retail (boxed) version of Vista, it should allow 3 different hardware setups to authenticate correctly before it says the COA is bad. However, (or so I've heard), if you have an OEM version, it only allows installation on one set of hardware, and it won't allow you to authenticate on another.

It will allow you to install Vista, so don't worry about that, but it will ask you to authenticate once you're up and running. During that time, you should be asked to authenticate on the Internet or over the phone. At that time, you can call the Microsoft support center and explain that you've upgraded your hardware and need to authenticate Vista on it.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Did you buy a OEM version of Vista or a Retail version? If you bought OEM then you already used your 1 activation. Retail has 3 activations and therefor could be used again.

Gratned this can be gotten around with just calling M$ and telling them that you HDD crashed. But that is against the rules.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 11-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to MetalOwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
Did you buy a OEM version of Vista or a Retail version? If you bought OEM then you already used your 1 activation. Retail has 3 activations and therefor could be used again.

Gratned this can be gotten around with just calling M$ and telling them that you HDD crashed. But that is against the rules.
So if you have the retail version, you can install it onto 3 different computers at the same time with the same activation?
Intel Core2Duo E6600 (2.40) @ OC'ing
2 gigs G.Skill DDR2 800 RAM @ OC'ing
2x 320 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (RAID 0)
EVGA Ge-Force 7900 GS KO @ 710/985 @ 1.48v/2.20v
LITE-ON 20x DVD+/-R Burner/12x DVD-RAM w/ LightScribe
LITE-ON 48x CD Burner/16x DVD-ROM
Hanns∑G 19" Widescreen LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Old 11-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalOwns View Post
So if you have the retail version, you can install it onto 3 different computers at the same time with the same activation?
No. This just means you can install it on 3 different PC's without having to call M$ for activation. Once it is active it can be the only machine on the web that is active.

If you have more than 1 machine active with the same serial at any given time, 1 will always become inactive.

When you go for updates the first machine will try for WGA validation. If it passes any other machine with that serial when it tries for WGA validation will fail. The reason for this is the hardware profile which is linked to your serial is kept on file. If that isnt the same hardware profile that is matched to the current active serial then it will be a inactive or pirated serial.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 11-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to MetalOwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post

If you have more than 1 machine active with the same serial at any given time, 1 will always become inactive.
That's what I thought...got a little confused when I read this thread though. Thanks for the clarification.
Intel Core2Duo E6600 (2.40) @ OC'ing
2 gigs G.Skill DDR2 800 RAM @ OC'ing
2x 320 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (RAID 0)
EVGA Ge-Force 7900 GS KO @ 710/985 @ 1.48v/2.20v
LITE-ON 20x DVD+/-R Burner/12x DVD-RAM w/ LightScribe
LITE-ON 48x CD Burner/16x DVD-ROM
Hanns∑G 19" Widescreen LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
Old 11-17-2007, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213
Once it is active it can be the only machine on the web that is active.
It can be the only machine that gets Microsoft updates. There can be more than one on the Web, but should it connect to Microsoft for updates, they will detect the hardware change.

Closed Thread