copying windows cd illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud122

Solid State Member
Is copying and distrubuting windows recovery cds illegal?
By recovery cd i mean the windows cds that usually come with computers like IBM, DELL, compaq etc. Since the cds only work for that specific model it shouldnt be illegal should it?

Copying for yourself: NO. Distributing: YES. Using keys other than what you have bought: YES.

i work for a refurbishing company selling refurb computer systems
Some customers that buy the computers want a recovery cd for their specific system. So i was just wondering if its illegal to give them a copy of a recovery cd rather than for example ordering it from IBM. And of course the customer will be using the COA product key provided with their system.

If they only had a recovery CD for their version of Windows, and only had access to their own License Key, would that still make it illegal? I admit I'm a little shaky on licensing laws, but I seem to remember you pay for the licence, not the software itself, which would make backup CD's acceptable, assuming that they were only used in conjunction with a legally purchased License Key.

the recovery cds can be used on any computer. i installed XP on my current pc (not dell) using a dell recovery cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom