copying user profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

isesoteric

Beta member
Hi, all I am new here just joined today. I have roughly 80 systems that I am doing a LCR on I already have my image built all the systems are on the domain. I was wondering if anyone has a script or a batch file that I could use to copy user profiles from the old system to the new system. I have been trying net use and xcopy in a batch file but net use isnt working. when I use net use from the command prompt however it works just fine. Ideally I would love a script that would configure the system so that the first time a user logs in the computer isnt john.smith.domain, and is actually john.smith.

Normally dealing with this doesnt bother me but on top of several other projects I was asked to complete the LCR by Thursday. any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well sadly a batch file would not be of assistance. Cause that would only work for specified user names. Which each name being unique would make it difficult to copy it to the new profile. You need 3 files fro every profile copied.

NTUser.dat
NTUser.log
NTUser.ini

Maybe the information here will be of help:

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

But i personally do not see how a batch file could work as you would have to modify it for every user.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I should mention that I am going from an optiplex gx620 to a optiplex 755. The load on each system is exactly the same. I have been grabing the nt user files as well. I was thinking of setting up a txt file and directing the bat to it for the what ever systems or users.

If there was anyway to get all the usernames i am sure that it could be done easily then. But again then it would try to run thru 80 users when only 1 is present.

Roaming Profiles would solve that problem if you used that feature.

You can copy profiles from/to existing accounts.

First you need to log on as a user with local admin privilages, that is neither the account you want to copy from or copy to. Its then generally a good idea to go to the Control Panel, and in Administrative tools, Folder Options, on the View Option make sure that the option to Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected. It is also a good idea to make sure that the Hide Extensions for known file types is NOT selected so you can identify files more easily later on.

Then exit the control panel. Right click on My Computer and select Properties, Advanced, and click on SETTINGS under User profiles. Select the source profile and then COPY TO another user option. Copy the existing profile to C:\Documents and Settings\Username (where username is the target account), making sure that you change the 'Permitted to use' option to 'Everyone' so that the new users will have the necessary permissions on the profile. Confirm the action replacing the existing profile when prompted.

You can use the same method to copy a profile to "default user" to which is then copied to all new users the first time they log on.

or

Even if you do copy an account to another folder, the domain will see the difference between a local profile and a domain one. If you set up eveyrthing as the local account, and then copy it to another folder called USER, when you log on with that user name, XP will see that it's a local profile and make a new one called USER.DOMAIN, thus not migrating all of the studd you set up.

The best way to do this is with the User State Migration Tool provided by Microsoft.
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/91f62fc4-621f-4537-b311-1307df0105611033.mspx?mfr=true
This allows you to copy user profiles from one PC to another, or migrate accounts between domains. It should work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom