Copying instead of moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReikokuKo

In Runtime
For some reason, my notebook just started copying all the files that I drag to a new location instead of moving it. So I would end up with two copies and I have to delete one copy from the original directory.

Any thoughts?

When you drag and drop that is copying not moving in Windows terms. Only a Ctrl+X is to cut and copy. Also can do the whole right click thing. But to just drag and drop is to copy. It always has been.

if you drag and drop into the folder list though it moves rather then copies :D. just click on the link saying folders at the top of your document window and a sidebar will come up you can drag and drop the files that way which does cut and paste rather then copy

by default, Windows moves files if you're moving them from one location on a drive to another location on the same logical drive. If you're moving them from one drive to another drive, or an external device, it will copy (so you don't risk losing the data)

You can override this by holding down the alt, shift, or control keys while performing a drag and drop. Shift is Move, Control is Copy, and Alt is Create Shortcut.

It neves moves it on my PC. Of course i have 4 HDD's and several partitions. So that could be why. I never move stuff among the same drive so it always copies on my machine.

You should try RAID. I have 4 HDDs, but only 2 partitions - one for data storage, and one for the OS.

You can also select the folders you want, and go to Edit > Move to Folder... > and choose the location.

You should try RAID. I have 4 HDDs, but only 2 partitions - one for data storage, and one for the OS.

This doesnt work for me. cause i have all my data seperated by function. A drive for emulators, drive for games, drive for M$ betas and stuff, drive for media, drive for baby pics, drive for my wife's stuff, drive for my documents, drive for my music.

I have tried to keep everything on 1 or 2 partitions but it jsut got too cluttered. Plus having 2 OS's installed doesnt help. I have to be able to find the data in either OS. Having it all seperated and sorted the way i do makes life very simple as it is easy to find any file i am looking for.

RAID is jsut a waste to me. If any of the HDD goes down you lose data and your whole setup. Depending on which RAID Array you use. But i dont want to have to go thru the whole mess of backing up almost 1TB worth of data to make a RAID Array that has any sort of redundancy to protect my data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom