Copying files in DOS C drive to a usb hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

BossChase

Baseband Member
Hi

I have a vista laptop that's crashed and I need to send it back to HP to have them repair it but before I do I have some files that I really need to get off of it.

Is there any way I can copy the c drive onto a usb hard drive in dos?

Thanks so much for the help.

P.S. The hard drive in the laptop has different plugs than my desktop and I cant get it out so different than the other thread I have.

Hello,

Why not jsut use a Linux LiveCD? It will be much easier. Plus DOS has not been fully supported by Windows since 98. They only have the command prompt which has limited function. Also DOS wont recognize NTFS file system. It only works with FAT16. A Linux LiveCD will be your best answer.

Cheers,
Mak

The usb drive I have is in fat32 format but I think the C drive is NTSF so I dont know

I'm looking around on google to try and find some info on the Linux Live CD because I'm not familiar with it. Do I need to buy it or can it be downloaded?

Thanks so much for the links!!!!

I'm reading over it now. I wonder if this will get more off of my other hard drive. I took it out of my old pc and it had 100gb of files on it then pluged it into my new pc and it has 747mb of files on it :freak:

Hello,

It can be downloaded for free.

Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

That is the one i have used. It works just fine. It will recognize the NTFS and the FAT32 no problem. You might have to mount the drives but that is easy to do.

Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer :: the How-To Geek

Check that thread there. It is exactly what you are looking to do.

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks for the the advice I downloaded the cd and ran it but thats as far as I got. I printed off the insturctions that came with it but no matter what option I choose the cd drive runs for about 30 sec but nothing ever opens.

I'll play with it some more. tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom