Copying Entire Harddrives Across - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2004, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble
Default Copying Entire Harddrives Across

Form time to time we need to format hard drive and reinstall the operating systems on people hard drives. However, to do this I need back up the customer's data onto another PC.

We have a habbit of wanting to copy EVERYTHING across so we do are 100% sure that we have everything. This is so we can aviod that phone called of "Where is my (Insert file Name here)?" and us repling "Well we did not back up that directory because it did not look important."

Anyways, I have noticed that there is some files under Windows XP that does not like to copy across. This can be a pain I set up a SET'N'FORGET job, but about 30 seconds after I leave the computer it, I get a message saying "Can not copy across (insert file name)"

Any ideas on some programs that will assist me in copy files from one NTFS drive to another NTFS drive.

Requirements are :-
* I want to copy the files as they are.
* I want to be able to choose the destination folder on the destination drive to where these files are going to.
* Preferably some thing that i do not have to pay money for.

Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 07-16-2004, 06:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Get a version of "Drive Image" by Paragon, it does all O/S's and all file formats. makes many versions of Norton's Ghost look somewhat primitave.

Try it, It's only a $50 program, works a treat on any disk, has a simple user interface, works on any O/S and any file format, what more do ya need.

Copy all or part, your choice.

Old 07-18-2004, 04:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

all files ready to be archived have the archive bit set unless someone purposefully clears this bit. try using MS Backup utility built into windows and tell it to backup all files that have been changed. I can't remember but i think its called an incremental backup(?). i think you can just choose the root of drive [C:] as the folder to backup.. you can use the windows Task Scheduler to make this a routine backup. you can even specify the backups to be saved over a network share. you must be an aministrator to create/ schedule a backup, i think.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

I agree with ekÆsine that you should see if Microsoft's
built in Backup and Restore will provide the result's your seeking.;en-us;309340

You will want to go to scheduled tasks in the Backup Utility
to access the Normal, Copy, Differential, Incremental backups
this is all explained here.

You can always do this with Remote Desktop Connection so
you don't have to physically go to the person's PC.

Good Luck.
Closed Thread