"This copy of windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log in"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
Last night I was on my secondary PC doing some routine maintenance. I was running Malwarebytes, Spybot and Avast. I picked up a few stragglers and the three programs seemed to get rid of them with no issues. During this process XP was in the process of downloading and installing some Windows updates. No biggie, I've done this 100 times before. Malwarebytes said I had to restart my PC to finish the removal process. It was bedtime so I just shut it off and figured I'd finish it in when I got back from work today.

I came home and booted it up like normal, logged in, then got that error: "This copy of windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log in" :confused:

So I clicked OK and went thru the steps a little confused. Then it got to the screen where it asked for my 25 digit key. I copied it down from the sticker on the back of my PC and entered it in. It told me it was invalid... then I remembered that I had taken it down to have it reformatted about two years ago and the guy put a fresh copy of XP on it for me. It's been working fine since.

I went on my primary PC and downloaded Jelly Bean Keyfinder and saved it to a jump drive. I rebooted my secondary into safe mode and ran the key finder. Sure enough, there was a different key. I jotted it down and rebooted and tried again to enter that key instead... again it says it's invalid :very_angry:

Now I am basically stuck and can't get past the key screen. Every time I close it out it logs me off. I don't have the XP disk, I don't feel like taking it back to the repair shop and having them reload a fresh copy of XP on for me, and Microsoft tech support irritates me.

I have no clue what to do from this point. Any help would be appreciated in fixing this, without telling me to get Linux or a Macintosh or something... Thanks.

Sorry to inform you, but the guy that put a fresh copy of XP on there gave you a pirated copy. Since it isnt accepting the OEM serial you have on the side, your only option is going to be to format and reinstall with a legit copy of XP.

If you call Microsoft, they will just inform you that you have been a victim and you will have to purchase a new copy of Windows and try to sell it to you over the phone.

Sorry to inform you, but the guy that put a fresh copy of XP on there gave you a pirated copy. Since it isnt accepting the OEM serial you have on the side, your only option is going to be to format and reinstall with a legit copy of XP.

If you call Microsoft, they will just inform you that you have been a victim and you will have to purchase a new copy of Windows and try to sell it to you over the phone.

I feared that was the answer. I looked on eBay and found a few decent unused copies of XP home for around $50. I just may reformat and reload XP. Now that begs the question.... is there anyway I can save what stuff I have on there. I've had that PC for ages and have a lot of stuff on there I'd like to get off before I reformat.

Should still be able to get it off with a linux live CD but seriously you should back up your stuff before something goes wrong - that is what it is there for. Also I wouldn't buy anything like this off of ebay, follow Mak's advise instead and give MS a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom