copy hard drive in DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCC Fan

In Runtime
can anyone tell me how to copy one hard drive to another hard drive in DOS? the HD that i want to copy does not have a OS.

I believe it is copy *source* *destination* (replacing *source* and *desination* with the drive letters)

i found this really old dos operation book where it had all the stuff u needed to know about dos. i don't know if your method works, but what i used was "c:\xcopy 1: 2:".... where "1:" is the drive that you want to copy, and "2:" is where you want to copy the drive to.

WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU WANT TO COPY? IF YOU JUST WANT TO TRANSFER FILES FROM ONE DISK TO ANOTHER, JUST SLAVE THE HADDRIVE TO YOUR MASTER HARDDRIVE AND TRANSFER THE FILES DIRECTLY.

GOOD LUCK!

Use the: xcopy source destination /e /c
Example xcopy c: d: /e /c

This will copy all folders/subdirectories files including empty ones and continue to copy even if there is an error.

Go to start>Run>CMD and press enter
Type xcopy /? And list the command switches to select your options

An example:

Echo off
Xcopy /y /e /I /d C:\<your source directory>\*.* D:\<Your destination directory>\

This example copies the contents of the source directory using the wildcard *.* which is all file names with all file extensions into a destination folder on the D drive. The /y suppresses any Are you sure , the /e switch says to copy empty directories as well, etc.. you will see what they mean if you print off the command switches.

After you are finished, go to file>save as and save the file as <your choice>.bat and change the file type to all files.

This will create a batch file which will perform an xcopy function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom