Convert Fat32 to NTFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DONNY11

Solid State Member
Hi!

I just purchased a Western Digital Elements 1 TB HDD. I required it for immediate backup of data from a failing HDD.

Last night i tried copying a 6 GB file to the HDD and i just got the " Not enough space error", I figured: " ahh Fat32, I need NTFS, but how can I convert its file system WITHOUT formatting?"

Is this possible to do?

If so, Please let me know.

Thanks!

In XP you can go into Control Panel>Administration Tools>Computer Management>(I think Disk Management next, on a Linux machine now so I can't check) then open the console, it will show partitions. Either right-click on the partition in question, or click on it and go to the Action menu, can't remember)

I believe next you can go to the Action menu and find an option that will allow you to convert. I am going by memory as I said cause I'm on this Linux machine and my wife is on the XP lappy right now.

Besides the reformat of the drive selecting the NTFS file system using the DM or a 3rd party partitioning tool MS does provide instructions for using commands at the Start>Run.

"How to convert a FAT volume or a FAT32 volume to NTFS

Note Although the chance of corruption or data loss during the conversion is minimal, we recommend that you perform a backup of the data on the volume that you want to convert before you start the conversion.

To convert an existing FAT or FAT32 volume to NTFS, follow these steps:
Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
At the command prompt, type the following, where drive letter is the drive that you want to convert:
convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, type the following command to convert drive E to NTFS:
convert e: /fs:ntfs" How to convert a FAT16 volume or a FAT32 volume to an NTFS file system in Windows XP

The method used here would simply be replacing the factory Fat32 volume and creating a fresh NTFS primary once you have downloaded the replacement software for unpacking that onto the drive after. It won't be needed unless you are running Mac as well Windows however.

^ The way the OP wanted (no data loss) I don't think you can do it the way you suggested. You CAN change the file system to ntfs from there, but I think it does a total format as well.

Oh ok, yes I did read that in the OP's post, but I was trying to remember w/o checking XP (I am on Linux at the moment).

I think he does, he just tried to copy the 6 gig file and it wouldn't let him. Prolly has other stuff on it already.

Anything currently on the drive would have to copied over to the host or backed on removable media before either method could be used. Once you chance the file system all data is lost automatically.

If the drive appears in the bios in the list of hard drives installed you can remove the factory Fat32 and replace it with a fresh NTFS volume or simply reformat as NTFS. But consider anything left on the drive lost once this is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom