Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

u9w30y

Beta member
So, I spent a good chunk of change on a 32GB SSD with the intent of running my Windows 7 off of it. Well. I am.

Problem is Windows comes with a ton of Programs installed. My 32GB have quickly disappeared to files going to My Documents from games, such as Sims 3 and DA: Origins DLC.

Idealistically, I would rather have all of that stuff you know, on my 2 TB of HDD. Where it won't fill it up.

Now i've installed all new programs onto the larger drive obviously, but is there a way to move say My Documents, the Temp folder and all those goodies to the different drive?

I would like to have just my Windows essential files on the 32GB (the Windows folder) and move everything else. Possible?

There is - make a folder on your storage drive, and copy everything you want to it.
Then, in Windows Explorer, right-click on 'Documents' in Libraries, go to Properties.
Then click the Include a Folder... button, and select the one you want. Then set the new folder as default (personally I also delete the old options too but that's up to you) by clicking 'Set Save Location'.

So for example, when you are installing a program, such as an Adobe Photoshop Suite, it creates Temp files for the installation. I want to redirect the temp folder. As well as Programs such as Sims and DA: Origins who create folders and files in the My Documents path. Is that going to take care of instances like those?

You need to uninstall the current installations of the games, and then reinstall them to the other hard drive (D:, I would assume). The games themselves would not open up as fast, but Windows would still do so.

As an alternative, move everything but the game itself to the other drive. In answer to your question: you may have to do some digging to see how to set the game(s) up to use the files from the other drive, but it would unload all of it from the SSD.

As Yami said, move all data files (documents, music, whatever) to the other drive and set it up to read/write there. I have mine set up in mostly the same way, but not with my documents since I am using a 250GB drive as C:. I have my other hard drive split into two partitions, one for data and downloads, the other for longer term storage.

Okay lets clear up a few things.

Win7 actually installs less than XP. Win7 doesnt include a email program. XP does. Win7 is larger only cause it also does more and have more fancy stuff to it. Aside from that Windows install all of the same stuff.

You cant redirect all the stuff like you want. It isnt possible.

A.) Some programs insist you install them to the C:\Windows or C:\Program Files directory. Nothing you can do short of hacking the program can change that.

B.) The temp files can't be moved. You can move the Documents and personal folders. That is it.

Hope that helps clear up some confusion.

I know that 7 includes less bloat than XP.

I'm very well versed in computers and the technology therein. I was just hoping to run into someone better versed. I'm A+, CCNA, Net+ to name a few.

1.) The game is already installed on the H: drive, which is a 1.5 TB. Though, the game creates a lot of folders and trees under your Users/Documents and Settings folders. That is the default location for DLC and what not for the game. So if what Mak said is right, then Windows default location for (Documents and Settings) can be changed, and that problem (hopefully) can be solved. Ideally I would prefer that Windows system files are the only ones on the SSD, but I recognize that is unlikely to happen.

2.) Windows still comes with a good chunk of software installed on the primary drive. You don't really get a say in where those were installed to. I was hoping that may not be the case.

3.) I'm aware that programs booting off my SSD makes them faster. That's how I justified spending the money. However, space is limited. I have limited programs installed on the SSD, and I'm looking to get ever last bit of space I can off of it. I'm talking I don't want programs sticking their temp install files, I don't want Sims DLC to go to My Documents/Games/EA.

I would prefer that my entire C:Users was empty and those directories redirected to say my 500GB HDD.

Do you understand what i'm looking for now? It's under a facade implying simplicity, but there is a much uglier beast of complexities underneath!

4.) I'm looking for high end advanced techniques or software that will allow me to modify some of the aforementioned problems.

You said that Windows comes with a ton of bloat installed. That is what i was referencing. As i dont see it. If the system came pre-installed with Windows that is a different story. But by itself Windows doesnt come with a lot of bloat.

I fully understand what your looking for. But as i said, most of it cant be done. You cant move the location of the temp folder that is used for installs. It will just create a new folder back in that same location and use that.

As i already said if the program doesnt give you the choice there is no way to force it to install to another area.

I am well versed in Windows. I have researched this question many times myself to try and find answers. This is the only answer i have ever come across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom