Control Userpasswords

Status
Not open for further replies.

97lt2959

In Runtime
Hi, a while ago i discovered this nifty little trick control 'userpasswords' (on win2k) and it brings up the users dialogue box, i want to disable this but without downgrading the user from an adminstrator. i have removed the shortcut form control panel but cannot seem to disable the trick

Any Ideas!??

Cheers,

Lee

uh... that control userpasswords is a control panel extension, so I'd have to say that probably won't work. However, you could find that extension, and set securities to deny access to that user.

yes it is a control panel extentions, but it doesnt have its own cpl file therefore i cannot set the permissions on it, see my dilema:(

What 'bout the Local Security Policy ? Are there any provisions in there about it? Since the Control Panels are part of the GUI of windows.

Nope not that i can see there isnt anything relating to it, you can hide it which is what i have done but unfotunatly the shortcut still works:

control userpasswords

cheers for ya help :)

Do a search for Control.exe in the system. If you rename that you can't run that anymore... Or what about locking that file down to you alone...
The problem that I see is that the user is an admin, and there are many ways to gain access to this screen.
nusrmgr.cpl
control userpasswords
mmc.exe
control.exe

Why keep them as admins if you don't want them to have that kind of power?

nusrmgr.cpl = not on windows 2000
control userpasswords = the problem
mmc.exe = locked down to myself only
control.exe = cannot lock down otherwise other options wouldnt work such as mouse etc etc

In theory your solution is the best but in practice i wont work for me. If i were in a domain i could downgrade the user to power user and enable some options that are needed via group policy but i am not.

Again thank you for your help :)

are you sure you can't lockdown the file for yourself - try using some third party file security system...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom