Constantly needing Defrag - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Constantly needing Defrag

I'm not sure what's up. Recently I've been needing to defrag by HDD like once a week. I'm running a 250GB Sata 2 Western Digital Drive. The only thing I can think of that I changed is that I switched to Emule for P2P downloads. Is this messing up my HDD?

If so I'm thinking about buying a small hard disk just to use as the boot drive so I won't see such a hit in performance. Or maybe even just run Emule on my 2nd PC.

I've never needed HDD defrags so much. Even windows suggests I do it, looks like 80% of my files every week are flagged "red" for fragmented.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

Is the performance that bad that you NEED to run the defrag? and when you do run it is it very noticable the performance picks back up?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I cant even remember when I last run it.
Anyway, it must bring up some performance wont it. But these are commonly un-notable.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Sounds like your harddrive might be about to go out. I'd back up everything important if I were you.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yes, the performance gets bad. Well, I guess I won't say BAD, but it gets slower. I'm just noticing the connection between tons of fragmented files and the use of the Emule program for P2P.

Can this really be a sign the disk is dying? I'll stop using Emule for a week and see what happens. If it's still bad, I'll get a new drive. This one isn't even a year old yet.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

partition your drive and only put windows a 30 40 gig partition. then store your data on the rest
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 03-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to Menekali

This may be a stupid question, but how many fonts do you have installed on your system? Excess of maybe... 8-900? I've got over 20k on mine, but NOT installed, I use a font management software for mine.

If you've got a TON of fonts installed on your system, it decreases system performance substantially. Otherwise, i would begin backing up my important documents now as someone else suggested, and running a few tests on the hdd. A few sectors may be failing at this point.

Closed Thread