Constantly low on virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
Hello, this is a fairly new system which I built myself about 95% I had it tooken to a computer shop to get the wiring together because I didnt get it. Anyways this is without a doubt a top of the line system with 2 gigs of ram (2 x 1gb corsair xms) so I figure I can multitask farely easy which I can for quite some time with counter-strike open, AIM, mIRC, and a couple of web browsers open. A little while after doing so I keep getting this message

Windows - Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low
Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications may be denied. For more information, see Help.

I don't really understand since like I said I'm not really overworking the system and it should not run out of memory because I have top of the line RAM memory. I did some research on this on Google but it seems that many peoples problem is they have too many windows open and/or don't have enough RAM and that should not really be an issue and the cpu is running at a steady 46 degrees celcius.

I also went to System Properties like some have suggested then Performance Options then Advanced and checked the virtual memory. I don't know too much about this but the Initial size (MB) is 384 and the Maximum size (MB) is 768. The total paging size for all drives is minimum: 2 MB Recommended: 3070 MB and Currently allocated is 424 MB. It really is confusing for me so if it says recommended 3070 do I change the Maximum size to that? I could really use some help here and any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

edit: I'm not a very knowledgble person on RAM but I noticed that when I took my computer to the shop to get the wiring done that they put the first 1 GB stick of ram on one side and the other on the other side so it looks sort of like this:

(Ram slot - 1GB) (Ram slot - Nothing) (Ram slot - 1GB) (Ram slot- Nothing)

I always thought they both have to be together to be in dual channel mode is this true? Am I still getting the same RAM performance if they're seperate like in the picture and if theyre together?

no, usually they have to be like they have it currently course guess it depends on MBD but the ones I've seen are just like you have it now. Also, change the min and max virtual memory to be the same so it is a static amount and not dynamic in range.

I put the max to 3070mb and i still get the same error. I wasn't really sure what you said could you clarify a little more please? thanks this error is getting pretty annoying :p

for the dual channel, read your motherboard manual. Sometimes they have to be next to each other, sometimes one away from each other... it depends on the motherboard. With mine, they just have to be in the same color slot.

Try letting windows manage the virtual memory automatically. 75% of the time it doesn't work, but i've fixed a problem like yours before on someones computer by letting windows take care of it... don't know how it worked, but it did.

Just set it to "System Managed Size" and then push SET. If you dont push set, it wont do anything. Push SET and then push OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom