constant hard drive crunching

Status
Not open for further replies.

astosoup

Solid State Member
I just set up my computer with the new motherboard. I have Windows XP pro. While my computer is being used it runs fine but when you leave it idle for maybe 5 minutes or so the hard drive crunches and the hdd led lights up continuously. It does this until you move the mouse then it stops. Repeats this everytime. Anyone know what could possibly cause this?

Is it possibly going into power save mode? If so then its just storing whats currently in ram to the hard drive. Might want to set the power saving options to a higher number than 5m.

If you don't use Windows XP's built-in search often (like every day), disabling indexing can significantly speed up your PC.

By default Windows XP indexes files on your hard drive and stores them in memory to speed up its' built-in search. But if you rarely use Windows search, turn off indexing to free up memory and CPU horsepower for the files and applications you actually do use. A few simple how-to steps after the jump.

To turn off indexing:

1. Open up "My Computer."
2. Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose "Properties."
3. Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to..."
4. Click OK, and files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to complete.

To disable the indexing service:

1. In the "Start" menu, choose "Run."
2. Type "services.msc" and press Enter.
3. Scroll-down to "Indexing Service" and double-click it.
4. If the service status is "Running", then stop it by pressing the "Stop" button.
5. To make sure this service doesn't run again, under "Startup Type:", choose "Disabled."

Windows search will still work if you perform these steps, but it will work more slowly than if indexing was enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom