Considering System Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalls0224

Baseband Member
Hey Guys,

I have had my Acer Aspire E380 for several months now with Vista Home Premium and I was thinking of cleaning up my machine with a complete system restore, i.e. Acer's Factory Restore option. There are too many programs that I installed and removed over the months. I use CCleaner and other Spyware/Antivirus removal software but I think I want to just do a complete do over, especially to get ready for SP1. However I have two issues.

1. The Acer was a replacement for my old XP machine because the processor died. I have the old hard drive connected to the Acer as an external. When I first set that up, I had to find a program that would "Take Ownership" of the files on the external. However, I remember taking the external to another computer (an XP) and the external would not allow me access to the files due to lack of permission. I am afraid the external will not allow me access after a restore, thinking the restored Acer is a different computer.

2. I have recently installed a new graphics card moving from the factory X1650SE to a 7950GT. It makes me happy :). Anyway, since it is a factory restore, my rig will not have the drivers for my card and install the ATI drivers correct? If that happens, I don't know what would happen in terms of how the Acer would work before it gets the new drivers.

Sorry if this is long winded and I apologize for any confusion. Any help would be appreciated.

Well you would have to take ownership of the files again. That is how you get by the first issue.

The 2nd one you are right. The drivers wont be installed. There will be generic video drivers installed so you can access the desktop. From there you download the correct ones from ATi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom