Connection Error, Oops removed wrong program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master_Of_Puppets

Beta member
Okay, here's what happened. My computer decided that it was going to run really slow, and so, I decided to contact my uncle who is a computer wiz, and knows almost anything about computers. So he told me that the best way to make it run faster is to go to add/remove programs, and delete the items I didn't need or want anymore. So that's what I did... and unfortunately I deleted the wrong thing. Now I will give a brief explination of what's going on at first then a detailed descripction. There are multiple different apps that say that there is no internet connection (Steam, Yahoo Messanger, Xfire ect.)

Google Chrome: Everytime I click on it, it says there is no internet connection

Mozilla Firedfox: When I open this browser up, it is blank. So I type in an address and it stays blank.

Internet Explorer: Works just fine.

Okay here's the deal with Steam.

Steam: Connection Error
Could not connect to the Steam network.

It appears that you are not currently connected to the internet, or that your internet connection is not configured correctly for Steam.

Either check your connection and click 'Retry', or start Steam in 'Offline mode'.

So then, I try to reinstall it.

- Install steam!
- click repair, then next >
- next >
Error 1316. A network error occurred while attemting to read from the file: C:\Users\[CENSORED]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\JZJGJQRJ\SteamInstall[1].msi.

Now I think I remember removing temporary Internet Files. Is there any way to restore them? And Explorer is the only one that will work. Is there any kind of "Factory Reset" ninja move I can do? To retrieve those removed items. Just so you are wondering... I AM ONLINE! I am typing this from my computer so please don't comment back saying "it's your internet connection" because it's not.

PLEASE: ONLY PEOPLE WITH BRAINS COMMENT! Sorry, but don't want a bunch of "hey run it in safe mode" from some kid. Please real information, and different scenareo's that I can try.

THANK YOU
MOP

Okay I will start by saying this:

1) Be Respectful
Treat other members as you would have them treat you. This means no flaming, insulting, or belittling other members.

Our very first rule of the site. Opening with comments such as "Only People with brains" and "Comments from some kid" is not a good way to try and ask for help. You dont know us just like we dont know you. You have no right to disrespect anyone with such comments. It only leaves room for people to do the same to you leaving you to wonder why. Some of these so called "kids" might happen to know a thing or 2 about this issue and might have an answer, but wont help due to such comments. Treat others as you wish to be treated. It is a simple task.

Now have you tried to use a Restore Point from before you removed the programs? This is something that can be tried to restore the PC before the time of the issue.

You cant fully remove the Temporary Internet Files, as they are just stored in a folder. While you can remove the files from that folder, even if you delete the folder it will be created again once you go back online. This is where files such as images and other things will be stored by the PC. This is done so that when you go to common websites, it doesnt have to download all the images again as they will be stored locally and it just has to load the new content from the page. Saves time and bandwidth.

Since you are online, did you try downloading the Steam Installer again and saving it to your desktop or other location and running it directly from there?

What Operating System are you running? Is it Windows Vista or Windows 7? Have you checked that location and made sure that the file and folder are there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom