connecting xp to 2000 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2005, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default connecting xp to 2000

Hi guys,

I have a home computer running XP. I have a computer at job running windows 2000. I want to connect to windows 2000 from my home using XP. By connecting I mean having office's computer desktop on my laptop (like remote desktop in XP, but I don't have XP in office)

What are the available options without changing office's computer system's OS. I have a VPN connection to the office server. But how can i connect to my particular computer. Any advice will be appreciated.

thanks for taking your time out to read it.

waiting for your response
yours truly

Old 01-08-2005, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Use the server on the computer you want to connect to, and the client on the computer you want to connect from.

TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 01-08-2005, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

you will need the internal IP address of the pc ur trying to reach and possibly the admins password/persmissions
Old 01-08-2005, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default connecting xp to 2000

Thanks for your replies.

I do have the IP address of the computer(running win 2000) I am trying to connect to.

Here is the case.

I am connecting(using XP VPN) to the network server from home using VPN. It shows me one icon as connected through VPN. But i don't know what to do next to connect to that particular computer. Because I cannot directly VPN to that particular computer.

Any suggestion Please!!!

explaining the steps will be appreciated.

thanks all again.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

try realvnc, download the host proggy and viewer. install the host on the office computer, set it up to recieve from your laptop which will require you to set a password. run (dont have to install it, its a single .exe file) the viewer proggy on your laptop and type in the IP address of the office computer, type in the password and you should be connected.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

You will have to find the IP for the office pc. (you can also do this with the pc name) Also make sure that the win 2k box allows for remote connections. Right click on my computer, properties, remote (check the box for allowing users to connect remotely to that machine) and make sure to check to see if you have permissions to do so. Make sure to leave your office pc on and Locked.

Now on your XP machine, Log onto the VPN. Open up remote desktop connection. Enter the 2k machines IP address and hit connect. It should ask for your user name and password. You should be in.

Death has a thousand doors, let's see which one our victim chose.

"There's one thing that you learn on this job, is that human beings are capable of anything"

If you chase two rabbits, you lose them both

You say tomato... I say cause of death
For sale/trade
Closed Thread