Connecting to a mapped drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Connecting to a mapped drive

I'm trying to set up a networkable program at my wife's company. The data file in this program is readable over the network by another machine running the correct version of the program.

You have to map the target drive on the other machines on the network for this to work. The problem I'm having is when the machines are rebooted. They will not automatically reconnect to the target drive. When Windows starts, I get a prompt to enter the username/password of the mapped drive.

How do I get these to reconnect automatically so this program can share data? I'm running Win2000 on all machines.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

If you are constantly asked for a username/pw make sure that the account being used to log onto the computers has proper access to that share.

The easiest thing to do would be to create a group, setup the proper permissions and add the users to that group. This will simplify your administration.

Old 06-01-2004, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey canooten,

I am not sure if the computers at your wife's work are on
a domain or in a workgroup. The first thing to check is to see if the (Reconnect at login) box is checked. You may need to delete the old mapping and create a new one to check this. If they are in a workgroup make sure the Workgroup names are the same on all the computers who will connect to the share. Just right click my computer, select Network Identification and then properties.

You will probably need to create the same user names and passwords that the users use to login to their personal computer to the computer with the shared folder as Holocron said above.
To do this go to Start, Run and type lusrmgr.msc

Good Luck
Old 06-02-2004, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Computers are in a Workgroup (all the same) and I believe I checked the reconnect at login box, but I can redo the map to be sure.

So I should just change the login of all computers to the same thing?
Old 06-02-2004, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

You can change all of the accounts or create a new one with the same username/pw.

That will give you access on all machines since the credientials are identical.
Closed Thread