Connecting 2 computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Zip1

In Runtime
Ok well i was looking for a very inexpensive way to connect my 2 computer. My obvios option for pure cheapness, was just to put another ethernet card in one of my computers and just use a cross-over cable, seeing as that would be fairly cheep, but yeah i was just wondering what are the downsides to this?, [besides the main computer being on for the second computer to haveinternet...] if any one has ever done this, i would apreciate sum info on it.

So, what do you want to accomplish by having the 2 computers connected to each other? Do you have an existing high-speed internet connection? Do you already have 1 network card per PC?
The crossover cable idea is very cheap indeed, but yes, you would always have to have the second PC on to connect to the net, otherwise you could network these two together with this.
When you say inexpensive....what is your limit? And once again, but most importantly, what do you want to accomplish?

-Mike

Yea, thats why I asked what the $ limit was. SoHo Gateway/Routers are so cheap these days.

-Mike

you will need ethernet cards in both computers. . .
if you are using a dial-up connection, this will work fine. . .
the computers dont care if there is a hub or a router in the middle

If you have a high speed internet connection, you can start this way,(*one computer will need two enet cards*) but you will definitely want to get a switch or router in the middle someday. . .

yupp.. well anyways... i actually have 2 high speed connections in my house. Cable, and DSL [1 computer with Cable, One with DSL]... so yeah i was just thinken putten another netwerk card in each comp.. and then just use a cross over cable to connect them. The *ONLY* reason i need this for is file sharing, currently i just use FTP to share files between the two computers but its fairly slow averaging 50-100kbps... so ide much rather just use a cross over cable for faster file sharing, if i was gonna do other things such as gaming, printer sharing etc. etc.... then i would deffinitly spend a couple more bucks and get a router or a switch.... but yeah i think i got everything worked out... just need to go get me 75ft of Cross-Over cable and 2 more network cards, but yeah thanks for the help.

you can get a router to connect to your modem, and the 2 computers. you can get routers with a firewall so you don't need a software firewall running all the time (which can save a bit of CPU time)

The crossover wire will work fine and will be faster.Which operating system do you have. Its easyer to do wite xp but iVe done it with win 98 and also win 98 to winxp.Just takes some tinkering.
Later Splat

Hmm im running Windows 2003 Server on 1 comp, and win98 on the other [I can upgrade it to win2000 or winxp, if needed] but yeah so i dont think i should have to much of a problem i just gotta get out and buy the cross over cable and the 2 network cards, but yeah ill keep u guys posted on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom