connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen47

Solid State Member
I have had this problem for quite some time now. Sometimes I boot my computer and I am able to connect to the internet without any problems. Other times I connect, in other words, my DSL WinPoET dialer connects , but when I open my browser it will not find any web sites except the website for my local library. All other sites return the usual cannot find website message. It doesn't matter which browser I use IE, Netscape 7.1, Avant Browser, My IE2, or Mozilla Foxfire, nothing connects.
I have updated my AV definitions and run a full system scan and it comes up clean. I have two spyware programs installed, Ad Aware and Spybot, I update and run these frequently,and they show nothing. I defrag at least once a day and always empty my temp files and delete cookies.
Sometimes I have to re-boot several times before I can successfully view web sites. Sometimes I will run defrag and it will work and sometimes not. There doesn't seem to be any one thing I do that will always work.
I am running Windows 98SE on a Dell Inspiron7000 PII 266mhz with 224 mb RAM, 4GB HDD with about 50% empty space.
Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I also had this problem with my dsl awhile back, what I did to fix it was I went into IE options and under Connections click "Lan Settings" and uncheck Automatically detect settings. Sounds like the same problem I had, might work for you. Lemme know.

I'll give it a try but the problem isn't with a specific browser.
Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom