Connect Printer To Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK82492

Beta member
Hi, sorry for the noob question, but I am having a lot of trouble connecting my laptop to my network...

I recently bought a Dell laptop and it connects to my home network just fine. However, I have no idea how to connect it to my printer. The printer is a HP Photosmart 7760, and it is connected by cable to a Compaq desktop. All works well in that department. I have tried everything, can someone please help me...BTW router is a D-Link DI-524.

Laptop runs on Vista Premium, Compaq desktop runs on XP Home

OK, I found the printer by clicking "Add network/bluetooth printer etc." and then clicking "the printer I want isnt listed." I then selected "browse for printer, found it under the desktop computer's name, and tried to click it. It said "Connecting to (printer name) and then it gives me: "cannot connect to printer. Access is denied". And remember this is all in vista. Drivers installed, shared correctly, printer turned on, etc.

PLEASE HELP! :confused: :(

the way i do it, is share the printer on my server, which would be your compaq in your case. the easiest way to share a printer and/or network drive, is to be in the same workgroup.

so on your compaq, right click on My Computer, and go to "Properties", then click the "computer name" tab. then click the "change" button near the bottom. click the "workgroup" radio button, and change it to whatever you want, and make sure that "computer name", top is an original name, for now i am going to call it CompaqDesktop. it should ask you to restart, so restart now.

then do the same on the laptop, making sure they are in the same workgroup, except change the "computer name" box to something other than the compaq's, then restart.

this next part you might have already done, but let's make sure.

on the compaq, go to: Start - Printers and Faxes (or if you have the classic style menu: start - settings - printers and faxes) and there should be an icon called something like "hp photosmart". right click on it, go to "properties", then in the "sharing" tab, make sure the "share this printer" tab is clicked, and make the name something like "HPPhotosmart".

then on the laptop, go into "printers and faxes" and on the left click "add a printer"
in the wizard, check the "network printer" radio button. then Click "next", then click "browse", but instead of nothing found, now it should have a tree list, with a list of computers and printers on your network. if the printer shows up, click it and continue, and set it as your default printer. you are done!

if nothing still shows up, your compaq computer might be hidden or something, but fear not, there might be a way around it.

go back to where you selected to browse the network. and select "connect to this printer" and with the names we selected earlier you would type:

\\CompaqDesktop\HPPhotosmart

then continue the same way through the wizard

hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom