Computers hangs while in MS Office ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PC's at my school do this a a lot. They're on a network and when two people try to print at the same time in the same office app, their computer freezes causing them to lose their work if they haven't saved it. Probably something weird here but just something else to possibly check if more people are on the network using office at the same time as her.

bigstanklo said:
The PC's at my school do this a a lot. They're on a network and when two people try to print at the same time in the same office app, their computer freezes causing them to lose their work if they haven't saved it. Probably something weird here but just something else to possibly check if more people are on the network using office at the same time as her.

that might have to do with using the same CD keys.

here is something else to try,
dowload the following:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml

these might help you in finding what is going on. the first is a really good procees tool. you can look at the threads of specific applications and such. very nice.
The second is for monitoring file handles. Watch or access or errors in the list. Exclude out the common applicaitons that run in the background.
Let me know if you need more help with thatl.

Good luck

MS Office is a very heavy program and it consumes large amount of system resources.

My computer also freezes when I turn on my MS Office.

what are you system specs? there is a minimum requirement that you should adhere too.
128mb + 32mb for every installed office application
this doens't include the 256 (base) needed for XP either...

Inaris said:
what are you system specs? there is a minimum requirement that you should adhere too.
128mb + 32mb for every installed office application
this doens't include the 256 (base) needed for XP either...

shes got a P4 with 512mb's of ram.

The odd thing is when office hangs, and i check her task manager her performace numbers are correct. Ram and Cpu are both not being used up.(just normal use)

I can't find the link, but right before you upgrade it tell that it will check to see if you have a valid one. then it says something like that if you don't have a valid version, you will lose some to all of it's functions

a lot of people don't update their office 2003 for this reason

EricB said:
I can't find the link, but right before you upgrade it tell that it will check to see if you have a valid one. then it says something like that if you don't have a valid version, you will lose some to all of it's functions

a lot of people don't update their office 2003 for this reason

it would do the same with the XP that came with her PC preinstalled.

I know what you are talkin bout though. Ive seen that message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom