\\ComputerName/c$ Not Working - Two Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
We're working on a domain... all machines XP Pro SP3.

Before I was able to go to start - run - and explore the hard drive of these computers. This enabled me to navigate to the "Desktop" folder of the default user profile and add a desktop icon for all of the profiles to generate, therefore giving students an additional web-based educational link without having to physically touch each computer.

First question is, how can I get this working again?

Second question is, if we move to Windows 7 in the future, can I do the above? Or would it, for whatever reason, cause the profile to become corrupt by adding an additional link in it?

I didn't go out of my way to enable/disable anything, which is why I'm confused, because I helped set up about a thousand computers in a two month period, with me being the primary creator of the images. In each instance I did the same steps, however I can do the start - run - /c$ trick with one lab, yet not the other...

Firewalls are off too, btw.

It's actually \\ComputerName\c$

I tested this out on my pc to the server, but the other way around it didn't work.

I can create a script for you that will copy an icon to the desktop for all users when they login if you are using .KIX

It's actually \\ComputerName\c$

I tested this out on my pc to the server, but the other way around it didn't work.

I can create a script for you that will copy an icon to the desktop for all users when they login if you are using .KIX

Uh, are you sure? For the last year I have been using it as /c$. Using \c$ at work wouldn't work...

This is so weird. I cannot tell you how positive I am that I was using this system for the last year with the /c$....

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I'm pretty sure on this, especially when I used your example and an error was returned, used my example and was at the root of the C:\ drive on my servers :D

Agreed. About the \c$ vs /c$ thing, not the sharpest knife in the draw thing :)

I'm at work atm, just tried both ways. Couldn't connect one way, but the other worked just fine.

Jayce, it's always been \\server\share dude :), just to add to soul and osiris...

but, as for the original problem, is there another error that you receive when you use the proper unc path?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom