Computer won't wake up from power saving mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

2perfect

Solid State Member
Whenever my computer enters power saving mode by itself (through the power saving properties), I can't get it to wake up. When I put it on stand by or hibernate manually, I can wake it up fine. I need the power saving mode so I'm looking for an alternative other than just setting it to "never".

Usually the monitor would be off, but sometimes it's on but it's only a glowing blank screen. The mouse doesn't show and none of the buttons work (i.e. if I press the wireless radio button, it doesn't turn off. If I press the button to turn off the mouse, it doesn't work). In the end, I have to turn off the laptop and turn it back on. I can also hear the fan working and the disk opens up (it doesn't when it's completely off). If I insert a CD, it reads it but doesn't awaken the PC.

This only happened recently, about 2 days ago. Before it would wake up fine from sleeping. I don't recall changing anything significant in the past couple days.

I Google'd it and updated drivers as well as the BIOS. I haven't left the computer alone yet so I haven't tested if it works. But anyway, does anybody know of any other possible solutions?

Compaq V2650CA (around 10 months old)
Windows XP Home SP2
AMD Turion 64

Some applications may cause wake up difficulties. You can try to make a test by leaving your PC alone for along time when particular programs are running and you can see what will happen. Also wake up issues may be caused by some hardware troubles, for example with videocard. Try to update video drivers also.

I would suggest a clean boot. It sounds like you have a problem with something loading and then crashing when it goes to power saving manually.

Please help me.. os wind xp.. while on computer, all of the sudden screen goes black except small box that says sleep mode and then all black again. The main screen with 'emachines' name comes up and that is it. stuck there.. cant get out of that . and computer does still have power on.. only way to get back into my computer is to connect this travel drive (512mb) into my usb port , that is the only way i can use my computer now.. other wise it will come up but then will go to ' sleep mode' do you know why and how to fix? thanks hope this even makes sense to someone.. ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom