Computer won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Baseband Member
Computer won't boot

Have a friend's e-machine T2042 running Win Xp.

The machine won't boot.

I tested (power tester) the PS and it seems ok.

When the power cord is plugged in the HD light on the front flashes and the floppy
drive makes a click at the same pace as the light. I unplugged the floppy and nothing
changs except the floppy drive click is gone.

The HD doesn't start and the chip fan runs.

The power button on the front does not do anything.

They said they were getting beeps but I'm getting none now.

What next?

I hooked everything back up and plugged in the AC cord and it started. So I shut
down, brought it over where I could hook up a monitor and keyboard. Plugged it in
and got the old results.

Tried about 7 more times and got it running.

I'm backing up their data and downloaded AVG and running it now. I found 36 viruses
so far but they're all associated with "doc" files so I don't think they're the problem.

Still sound like the PS?

Found the fan on the PS wasn't working. Bought a new PS.

Know it's shutting down in about 15 seconds. Seems like thing are deteriorating in the last to days.

how many bleeps were you getting? and my guess's would be

power supply
fan and/or CPU problem
motherboard

but give more detail can u turn the machine on at all but not boot windows or does the machine just not turn on full stop?
also, if the problem was youre power supply fan and the PS has blown it may well have damage other parts such as motherboard and if your GFX card has a direct power supply cable that too.

if the pc is tempramental and sometimes boots and you say youve found ltos of viruses try backing up all there data then formating the HDD and reinstalling windows

No beeps.

W/ old supply it was starting up all the way for about 4 min.

Then not as long. Now it starts to bootup but never gets to a screen, then shuts down.

I have to pull the plug and then plug it back in before it will start to boot.

has thsi machine had any hardware added to it? im still thinkin it could be software related (virus or something) that or lack of power

No new hardware and the machine was pretty clean after I got it to boot and stay on for a while.

I used AVG Ad-aware and the onlu viruses were Melissa (sp?) in Word docs.

New PS didn't help at all.

i take it this machine is a prebuilt one, didi it come with recovery disks and that shitty partition on the harddrive so you can reinstlal windows or did it come with an actaul windows disk? if you got recovery disks whack em in if u have an XP disk reinstall it....
jsut had a thought does anyone know if this could be a boot virus? could you give the full name of the virus found plz

I can try the CD recovery disk or what ever it came with but I don't think it will work because I can't keep the computer on for mor than a few seconds.

It was the Melissa Word macro virus that used the contact list. Can't rremember the name but the viruses were on the computer for some time before the computer started to act up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom