Computer is very slow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-- Delete all temp files (c:\windows\temp\*.tmp, or on XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp)

-- Delete temporary internet files (c:\windows\temporary internet files\*.*, or on XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files)

-- If you use I.E., click on Tools, Internet Options, Delete Files, select "delete all off-line content", click OK

-- Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, Systems Tools, Disk Cleanup

-- Download AdAware, check for updates, run it and remove whatever it finds

-- Periodically empty the browser cache and the java plug-in cache

-- Download Diskeeper and defrag

-- Download, update and turn on SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard (or your spyware removal tool of choice).

...im not responsible for your problems :)
1. run disk clean up, then defrag
2. C>Windows>prefetch> delete all files IN here
prefetch- is a folder that holds info to speed up your computer, however over time it over loads and makes it slower..
3. how much ram? (start>run>dxdiag)
4. cntrl+alt+del>processes- make sure nothing is running that shouldn't be if u dont know or it sounds fishy post it/google it

Tried it all

Hello,

Thanks to everyone for the info.. I tried them all and they did help.. more or less. The computer is faster, but it is still acting up. For example, when I open Outlook, the Icon on the tool bar comes up and then disapears... and it takes a while for it to show up again and on the task manager it says it is not responding. Something is still messing things up.. any other suggestions? Could it be a virus? I have McAfee installed.

RAM 256

I looked at the Processes, but to be hones I have no idea which ones should and should not be there...

Thanks again...

By the way, here is a lis of the starup list that I disabled.

mcupdate (automatically enabled)
McAgent (automatically enabled)
mcmnhdlr (automatically enabled)
mcvsshld (automatically enabled)
msnmsngr (automatically enabled)

ARGSMMSG
atiptaxx
cpqset
ctfmon
ISStart
LogiTray
LogMeInSystray