Computer is VERY active while idle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

goku2100

Baseband Member
When ever I leave my desktop gaming machine and let it be idle long enough so that the screen turns off, I notice that it starts to become VERY ACTIVE! Soon as I move the mouse, the computer stops being so "active". The HDD is being continously paged and the CPU is being utilized to the point where I can really hear it spin up (is overclocked so when there is 100% utilization, it gets loud). I have kaspersky Antivirus so I'm not sure if that is it and I've checked to see if there were any processes that I was not familiar with that were running in the background but I can find nothing. Any idea on how I can spot which process is doing this/why!?

How do you identify the processes? If through task manager then unfortunately this tool tells you nothing, its cosmetics like a lot of windows utilities.

Download winpatrol 9.1 from http://www.winpatrol.com/

I use this neat little tool, the one that Microsoft couldn't be bothered to include, that gives you a very extensive information and control over processes AND, a bonus, it notifies you when a process is being added by malware or spyware.

This little tool enabled me to identify how someone had violated my privacy on my computer by showing me that a secondary logon session had been started with the svchost dll.

Task manager lists the svchost as a generic but not the specific sessions that employ its services.

All these things should have been supplied with Xp, Bill Gates is just a lazy old fart.

I have 1GB of ram and the standard windows XP screen saver. I really don't think I have a virus because I have kaspersky installed which has a 98.7 detection rate which is the highest out of them all.

doesn't mean ur safe
scan with others (just a tip whether it is why or not)
well do like Fill said and then tell us the program i guess.. then we'll tell u what to fix :)

MY XP home machine does that exact same thing. Make sure your virus scanner isn't set to scan in the background (although that should only use at most 50% CPU), and try turning off all startup services, rebooting, and seeing if the behavior is still present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom