Computer super slow compared to what it used to be..

Valve_Cover

Solid State Member
So my computer seems to be slowing down like crazy lately, to the point where I just use my laptop. I like the desktop better for photo editing and youtube and whatever but its just so slow lately and I dont know why.

I've tried to defrag the HDD but it tells me it doesnt need a defrag. I've deleted a bunch of stuff to clear some space and I removed a few programs I dont use anymore but it just doesnt seem to want to get up to speed. I've also taken the whole thing apart, cleaned it (lots of dust!!) and removed the old heat sync from the processor and put in new one. That helped a bit but barely.

Is there anything else I can do? According to my anti-virus (symantec endpoint) I have no viruses, trojans, etc.. and I dont have any processes showing up as using lots of cpu %.

so, ummm...help?

33384533.jpg

But seriously....yeah.

and is it slow all-the-time? some-of-the-time? when you do certain things?

haha gotta love the willy wonka memes. Its no lightning bolt I know just a core 2 duo 2.2ghz with 2 gigs of ram. Intel VIIV if that helps. I'm not comparing it to nasa's cpu's or anything but just comparing to what it used to be.

It seems to be slower when I dont use it for long periods of time. But some actions are slower than others. Example right clicking to open a properties menu or opening a program seem to take forever, yet I'll download content just as fast as before and stream live video no problem.

I've been using Opera which seems to use a ton of memory but even on chrome its not really any better.

How much free space is left on the machine? How much do you have setup for Pagefile? I mean 2GB of RAM is low end even for today's laptops.

Check the Event Viewer as well.

excuse my Noobness KSoD but what is pagefile? and what is my event viewer? I've got 372 gigs of space and only using 162.

I've been using ready boost lately to crank up my ram via usb but that doesnt really seem to make any difference. I also ran a malware and spyware checker last night and it found nothing at all...

I'm stumped..

Just out of interest when was the last time you reinstalled windows, that if you have ever done this.
how long have you had the computer

have you un-installed any software that is not needed
Which anti-virus software do you have, and do you have more than one installed

As you only have 2GB of RAM have you checked within task manager(Performance Tab) to see how much RAM is being used and also the CPU usage
Along with checking if any particular application is using a large amount of RAM or CPU % (Task Manager - Processes Tab)

Just out of interest when was the last time you reinstalled windows, that if you have ever done this.
how long have you had the computer

have you un-installed any software that is not needed
Which anti-virus software do you have, and do you have more than one installed

As you only have 2GB of RAM have you checked within task manager(Performance Tab) to see how much RAM is being used and also the CPU usage
Along with checking if any particular application is using a large amount of RAM or CPU % (Task Manager - Processes Tab)

The computer came with vista, I reinstalled windows 7 ultimate about 1.5 years ago. It had seemed to have gotten faster on 7 but I dunno how much of that was just due to the formatting and how much was actually thanks to 7.

I have norton endpoint and nothing else. Task manager most often hovers the cpu% around 3-5% and ram is often running around 40%. The only progs that seem to really hurt my ram usage are opera and chrome. Asides from that everything seems to stay under 10-12k.

excuse my Noobness KSoD but what is pagefile? and what is my event viewer? I've got 372 gigs of space and only using 162.

I've been using ready boost lately to crank up my ram via usb but that doesnt really seem to make any difference. I also ran a malware and spyware checker last night and it found nothing at all...

I'm stumped..

Pagefile is where the system uses a set amount of Hard Drive space to act like RAM. The more Pagefile you set, the better the system can handle requests. Now on systems with more RAM, some say that you can disable Pagefile and it wont do no harm. This is true to an extent, but it means that more processes will be running and using RAM at all times instead of them being stored with the Pagefile.

Since you only have 2GB of RAM I am willing to bet that the system auto set the pagefile to be equal to that. You could boost it yourself but you might not get as much gain as you expect.

The Event Viewer is a tool built into Windows to tell you of errors that occur and other things going on with Windows.

Since you have so much free space what I was initially thinking wont apply. Sometimes when you don't have much free space left on your system it can cause adverse effects due to things like the pagefile, system restore and others all trying to fight for what space they can. But since you have well over the amount recommended, you are safe there.

The computer came with vista, I reinstalled windows 7 ultimate about 1.5 years ago. It had seemed to have gotten faster on 7 but I dunno how much of that was just due to the formatting and how much was actually thanks to 7.

I have norton endpoint and nothing else. Task manager most often hovers the cpu% around 3-5% and ram is often running around 40%. The only progs that seem to really hurt my ram usage are opera and chrome. Asides from that everything seems to stay under 10-12k.

Windows 7 in general is quicker than Windows Vista. So the increase you noticed was most likely due to that aspect.

That is pretty much expected when it comes to RAM usage. Windows Vista and Windows 7 use what is know as SuperFetch, which stores the most commonly used programs within RAM to allow them to load quicker. It is for that reason that it seems that more RAM is being used at all times, when in reality it is not. Of that 40% you say is active, only about 20% is actually being used till you start loading applications.

Opera and Chrome are both heavy users. They rely on multiple processes to accomplish their tasks. Chrome loads every tab as a new process as well as extensions. That is why you will see multiple instances of Chrome.exe loaded in that task viewer when it is open. It does this so that if an extension fails or webpage fails, you don't lose everything, just that extension or tab. It is a neat little trick and has been adopted by IE as well as Firefox to help with their force close tab issues.

The only thing you can really do is get more RAM to help the system. While using ReadyBoost is decent, it really doesn't do much for anyone. The way ReadyBoost is setup is to use the same size USB Drive as amount of RAM you have. So for you it would be a 2GB USB Drive to match your RAM. Plus if memory serves me right, ReadyBoost was kinda defunked with anything over 1GB. It was made for systems that use less than 2GB of RAM. Since you have 2GB you will not get the full benefits of what it has to offer. But really you wont get the full benefits as trying to use a USB device to act like RAM is not as effective.

You can always try using cleanmgr to clean up some junk. Just type in that command into a run prompt and it will bring it up. It will clear up some junk that is on the system.

wow KSoD thanks for the reply, i'm starting to realize I know less about computers than I thought I did haha! I'm running the cleanmgr command right now we'll see if that helps. Guess my last stop after that will just be to buy some more ram.

Back
Top Bottom