Computer stops working, Almost Completely, when Browsing or Multitasking

Status
Not open for further replies.

VistaGamer

Baseband Member
I am using a Vista 32-bit. This usually happens when i am browsing on the web or have multiple programs up. It's only happened in the past 2 weeks, and usually I follow the same routine each time, only to have it fail.

So I am usually just sitting back reading a page (Or screwing around with some programs), then all of a sudden, out of the blue, the page (Or Program) stops responding. I can't open task manager, and I cant open any new program (any program that is sitting on the taskbar can't be opened). I can move my mouse around, and right click here and their, but usually after a while it completely freezes. I try to shut down my computer via the start menu, nope.

I press the Shutdown button to have my computer shut down ( You know, safely, not the forcible way) and that doesnt work ( occasionally it eventually works, but then it just sits on "logging off" for hours on end), so I have to forcibly restart my computer when this problem occurs.

It has gotten so bad that i am forced to use another computer to research and write up posts (like this one) because I just cant work for more than around 30 minutes ( it happens more often at night, dont ask me why).

It could be a virus, but I cant ever scan my computer since my computer just dies so fast. Still I do think I should have found it when I did my scans when this problem didnt occur so frequently, So I think I can eliminate that as a possibility (I am using AVG-Free, if that helps)

It is fairly frequent, and the most frustrating thing is I have been trying to install a game but the computer just dies on me around halfway, and I have to keep on trying again.

Any help at all? I am not really tech-savvy ( i could tell you what parts I have and some basics, but I can't tell you things about like "How is my Bios Configured" or "what is the run command for X") but I really need this problem fixed ASAP, because I need my computer for work soon and its the only computer in my house that is connected to the printer (So without my computer running, my printer is also affected)

Thanks to anyone who does help, and thanks for listening

Download some applications to measure your temps on your CPU and GPU. While weird that this happens when doing 'low taxing' processes it is still a possibility.

I checked and most of the time the Gpu And Cpu were at moderate temperatures

However, Task manager Showed that my CPU Usage was going crazy. One second it was almost 0% then it went all the way to 100% the next. It could be this that is causing it, so what is a quick fix to this, that doesnt require a replacement? its a fairly new AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000 and replacing it would be costly at the moment.

Otherwise, if it isnt the Cpu Thing....

The only thing that would cause your CPU to spike like that would be spyware. Go thru Osiris's guide.

can you give me a link for that? Sorry that I didn't look around myself, I just Can't seem to find it in this forum (i looked far from thoroughly though). I am trying a virus scan right now and i want to monitor that as well as my Cpu Spiking among other things like preparing for a project, so I am pretty busy right now

Thank you very much, The only question i have is about Backing up my files.

Since I already have my d Drive (Recovery) set up properly, do I need to Back up my System ( If i don't care what happens to my media files and other related things, but just want the actual computer to run)?

If you are going back to factory settings and you are not worried about the stuff currently on your drive, No. You dont have to backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom