Computer starts when phone call recieved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obtruse_Man4

In Runtime
I have a neighbor who just recently got a new computer. They're having some problems with it though, and I'm going over to look at it tonight. She described the problems to me, and one of them is that whenever she gets a phone call, the computer starts up. They have dial up, and they're using windows xp (not sure if it's home or pro). Anyone ever heard of a problem like this? I'm guessing it's just a windows setting or some program causing the problem, but not sure where to start looking. BTW they do have callwave installed, but I've never known callwave to cause a problem like this. Thanks

what you mean the computer actually turns on? i had a problem where phonecalls dropped my dsl connection, it turned out that every phone in the house need an adsl filter. but dial-up is different, i dont know much about that

it's like wake on lan, but wake on modem. You have to either disable it in the bios or on the modem. Not to bad... once that is off, then it won't do it anymore...

Inaris hit it, but its probably 'wake-on ring' in the bios is set to enabled. Either way, disable it and wake on lan.

Inaris said:
it's like wake on lan, but wake on modem. You have to either disable it in the bios or on the modem. Not to bad... once that is off, then it won't do it anymore...
That was already disabled but there was another power option that wasn't disabled, and that did the magic. Thanks a lot, would have never thought of the bios!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom