Computer sluggish

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdan

Daemon Poster
There didn't seem to be a section directly relevant to this so posting it here.

I've bought this 2 year old computer from someone, however its a bit sluggish.

Its an Intel Pentium 2.8 GHz w/ 1 Gig RAM running Vista.

Now 2 things I'm considering, either changing back to XP, or adding an extra Gig of RAM. Or maybe both. Which would have more of a difference for speed? I'm really not caring much for Vista so I dont mind going back to XP, not particularly concerned w/ security issues. I've used XP for years w/o problems.

Would 1 gig do much, or do I need more?

Also what kinda RAM do I need, or how can I tell? I dont know much about hardware at all. I would prefer if there was a way to find out w/o opening the computer :)

Cheers
Dan

I'd get xp and an extra gig of ram, especially if you've already got a copy of xp handy.

Either that or Windows 7. You can d/l the release candidate for free atm, the license will last you until March 2010. It runs very well, with quite a few new features. Give it a shot if you're interested.

actually that reminds me of something i'd meant to ask - i do have a copy of xp, installed on my older desktop. can i use the same CD on this one? keep in mind there was some kinda online registration involved. i would prefer not to uninstall it from the previous computer.

someone else has also suggested windows 7. why exactly? is it faster than vista? how does the speed compare to xp? and what's the usability like, closer to vista or xp?

oh btw what kinda ram do i get?? :)

If you do not wish to remove it from the other PC then no you can not use that XP again. 1 serial = 1 PC. The only way to legally do it would be to remove it from the other PC and "transfer" the license to the new PC only if it is a Retail copy of XP which allows for Transfers. If it is OEM then it doesnt allow for transfers at all.

Win7 is free right now (At least till it gets released in Oct) and is good for 1 year. Till March 2010 before the daily restart kicks in. Yes it is better than Vista but it is also a Beta so not everything works properly.

It is on par with speed from XP. It is based off of Vista's code just a more refined version of it.

For your RAM check out Crucial.com for that answer. Make sure to READ the Win7 thread. Tons of info is in there.

i was speaking to someone and they told me that i might not be able to run XP on my system. supposedly some of the new computers cannot run older OS's like XP or dont have the drivers or something. can anyone elaborate?

also is there a way i can install XP while still keeping vista installed? i would ideally like to have the option of which OS i boot from, xp or vista, and only if XP is working fine do i get rid of vista. is that a good idea? and if so, is it relatively easy to do?

For XP it all depends. Some companies are not making XP Drivers anymore. So yes what they say is partially true. Cause if you have a system that is built by Dell or HP or something like that which is new as of the past couple of months then it is most likely you wont get XP Drivers. Since they are preparing for Win7. the upgrade program starts in a couple of days.

So we would need to know the manufacturer. But if you built the PC then you still have a chance that the parts will have XP Drivers.

Honestly XP is old tech. It is already 8 years old. Win7 is being released in 3 months. 2 OS's later. Are you sure you wish to stick with a OS that will be dead in 2 years? Since Microsoft wont support it much past then.

The choice is yours what you do. If you wish to get rid of Vista or keep it or what ever. But i would consider stop using XP since it is already 8 years old and it is hard to keep patching the holes in the OS.

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

Good catch paton. I did not see that part in the first post. Yes since the system is only 2 years old there should be XP Drivers available.

In case you are afraid that your PC won't support XP, add a Gig of RAM and see how it goes with Vista. If you are satisfied, then no need to go back to XP. Oh and disable stuff like Aero - it just takes up system resources.

thanks fellas.

its made by compaq presario (which i believe is now HP?).

bought in jan 2007.

mak what you're saying about xp - the thing is im really not liking vista. i dont find it very easily navigateable. also this computer im using is ridiculously slow w/ it. i just tried my old computer a few days ago, the one i scrapped for this, and that was running faster despite being from April 2000! so thats why im thinking xp might be better. plus i havent really seen any negative things in it? do you all really find vista easier to navigate / use?

on another note, can i install xp while still keeping vista? maybe i'll go back to vista once i have more ram in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom