Computer shutting down for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobir

Solid State Member
I didn't know where else to post this, so .. forgive me if it's in the wrong forum.

Here's my story.

About 3 months ago, my computer was starting to act really strange. Whenever I wanted to restart it, it didn't want to turn back on again. The message on my LCD said "Digital Power Saving Mode", just before it shut down. I had to wait 30 or more minutes before I could turn it back on again (the computer).
I tried scanning the PC for viruses and spyware, but nothing "intersting" was found. Then I took it to the repair shop, and they said that the lenses were dirty and had to be clean -- ********! As I brought the computer back home again, the problem was still unsolved.
About a month ago, I had to format the PC because of OS uninstability. I thought it would solve the problem, and it did work for awhile. I could restart the PC without having to wait - it didn't last long though. Just as I installed the components from Windows Update, the problem was back again. It was starting to get really annoying.
I took it to the repair shop again, and they said the very same thing like they did the first time -- lenses dirty, and so on. I told them that was not the case, yet they didn't listen.
So I thought I just won't restart the PC, pure and simple, BUT... just some hours ago, the computer shut down for no reason at all and I have been waiting for more than 2 hours, yet it just doesn't want to turn back on (I'm writing from my brothers PC atm).
Does anyone know what might be the case ? The employees at the computer shop are dumbasses and are of no help at all.

I'd really appreciate it if you'd help me out here.

PC specs
Intel Pentium 4, 3.00 GHz
ATi Radeon 9800XT, 256mb
2x 512MB DDR Ram
Windows XP Professional
normal vents for cooling (no water), and was bought in december 2004

For anti-virus, I have nod32 and Ad-Aware 1.06SE as anti-spyware (also tried SpyDoctor (something like that) and Norton anti-virus 2005 - removed it after it was starting to be a nuissance).

Is the computer running hotter than usual? When did this start happening? Do you think it's something you installed into the computer or a software issue?

Thanks for your reply.

The computer isn't running any hotter than it did when I first got it - not that I know of anyway. I never overclocked anything, never changed the settings in BIOS, and never did anything that could harm my pc.
It started happening 3 months ago, when I was downloading something for 3 days straight. When it was finally downloaded, I thought I'd restart the pc for it to run better, but it didn't want to turn back on again - that's when I first took it to the repair shop.
I don't think I've installed anything - like I said, when the files were downloaded, I immediately restarted the system, without opening any of them.

next time you download something scan the folder before you anything else. Most exe files which is programs is where viruses come from and viruses made every day and some anti virus scanners cant detect either not updated or not the latest

Check that your processor and graphics card fans are spinning. I would try a different power supply too if that's an option for you.

it could be one of 3 things.

1.bad video card (the most likely option)
2. overpowered psu. buying a bigger one will solve the problem
3.your processor is about to die

I had some similar problems with 2 different pc's.

1) would run fine when it was running, but it was a pain the *** to start. Turned out the power supply was going bad. (I ended up scrapping it for spare parts, but that's another story)

2) would start fine at first, but would "die" after a random amount of time. would restart ok the next time, but would "die" after only a few minutes. after that would not start at all. (I swapped the mo.bo. to another case with a new power supply and its been running fine for weeks now)

So if you can try it with another psu, I would do that.

well, now i see what's been going on

i've downloaded SpeedFan to see if the ventilation was good, but ... well, the hard drive temperature shows 60°C in average ... with a burning icon right next to it, i don't think that's normal, is it ?

any suggestions what to do ? buy extra vents or something ?

Yes, the Hard Drive is really overheating.

The maximum is should run at is about 30 celcius. Mine is 25 degrees currently.

That is probably why it's been shutting down!

Solution: Take the hard drive out, let it sit on a table for about a few days to cool off, and reuse.

i just set up a big fan infront of the pc, so the average temp is 39°C atm .. i've also noticed that the other temperatures were surprisingly high
according to speedfan, it said
temp1: 38
temp2: 54
temp3: -48
(dunno which parts of the computer those are)

um, about putting it out .. i can't :eek: not sure if i can get it back in after that (never done it before)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom