Computer shuts down unexpectedly; hardware or software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfenbro

Solid State Member
My HP Pavilion 5000 CTO with XP pro SP2 has been having this problem for awhile. Whenever I do anything that makes the computer work harder (defragmenting, total system scans, watching videos, and any time I multitask with many different programs); it will just shut down. I assumed it was a virus at first, but Nod32 would run and it would shut down before it found anything. Safe mode doesn't help. So I recently reformatted the computer but I'm still having issues. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Is it hardware or software?

Besides a few items like the cpu that could have a temp problem a bad cap in the supply or being a weak unregulated transformer, or even something on the board faltering once powers is being pulled for hardwares are things to consider.

If the cpu is running hot when a load is on the overheat protection circuit on the board will simply shut everything down. Iou would likely see a message for something like that however while a bad cap or something else on the board giving out once power is pulled would be one thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom