Computer setup problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
if something don't work right out of the box, take it back. if something break down later, then you worry about fixing it. you will alway have problems with this computer as something is obviously wrong now

I had a feeling :).
okay. first question, and this applies to the rest of the post as well. This I'm sure is elementary, but do I do this on a different computer, with internet access? Do I save it to a disk, or flash drive or something and then plug that into the laptop?
Same as above, and how do I access them on the laptop once I do that?
So, download the above program(s) to a cd, then put it in the laptop's cd/dvd drive?
okay thank you.
Yes you download it on a seperate computer with Internet access. Mainly the one you are using to post with now. That one would work.
Save it to the computer desktop and use ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD.
After you burn the ISO to CD you will use that CD to access the Laptop Drive.
Download the app, burn it to a CD, put in CD tray boot laptop with CD in tray.

That will give you the GParted interface and after that i explained what to do above.

Can also go with EricB's advice and just return it.

alright well I give that a shot and if it doesn't work I'll see about sending it back.

I don't know if I did it right (probably not :) ) but I transferred Gparted to a cd and booted in the laptop it opened up the gparted program correctly (from what I can tell) and I'm in the partition section and I clicked on the partition i wanted to use and went to "format to ntfs" now it just says 1 operation pending. Then I click apply. right track, or not?

I think the major problem, whatever it was, is fixed. I went into Gparted and formated the drive to ntfs. Then I reinstalled and everything went smoothly. I'm now in the process of setting up my programs, connecting to the internet, etc. A couple more questions right now:

1.) During the installation I was never once asked for the product key. Is there a way to do this once Vista is already installed, either within the OS or on the internet? I don't want to have to go through the process all over again once the trial period runs out.

2.) Do I need to install McAfee? I used a couple of other virus/spam killer programs that were free and downloadable and worked better than McAfee did (which seemed to scan for hours upon hours and never coming up with any of the problems that the other free ones found. I probably won't pay for the full version. I've seen on here other suggestions for free programs that I might try instead.

And Makaveli thanks a lot for all the help.

I use avg...
not too keen on mcaffee, they are ok I would guess
a lot of apps find questionable things, like cookies...
you can use multiples, but try and only have one run as the active...ie., avg, antivir, nod32...etc.

combo it up with firewall apps, in addition to the ms defender, comodo, zone allarm, etc

which flavor of Vista are you using? the Dell provided version? if so, I think it's hardcoded into the install process and you won't need to enter a key...though if that's the case, don't lose the discs.

I use avg...
not too keen on mcaffee, they are ok I would guess

I don't care for it all that much. Not had bad experiences with it, but nothing special.

a lot of apps find questionable things, like cookies...
you can use multiples, but try and only have one run as the active...ie., avg, antivir, nod32...etc.

Okay, so just run one primarily? I like what I see about Nod32, though I'm not seeing if its a free app. I can't afford to pay for anything fancy right now. I like AVG too, might go with that for now.

combo it up with firewall apps, in addition to the ms defender, comodo, zone allarm, etc

What do you suggest for each of these? I've used firewall applications before (though it was Mcafee primarily). I don't think I know anything about ms defender, comodo, zone alarm etc.

which flavor of Vista are you using? the Dell provided version?
yeah Vista home premium

if so, I think it's hardcoded into the install process and you won't need to enter a key...though if that's the case, don't lose the discs.

that might be why I didn't have to enter a key during installation.

I'm looking at my system info in the control panel and it has a windows activation section. It says "3 days until automatic activation. Activate Windows now."

Then there is a Product key (though it does not match the product key on the bottom of my laptop. And then there is an option to provide a different activation key. Though when I do that and try to give the one provided on the bottom of the laptop it says it isn't valid.

I will just give you what I use but it's just example ;)
avg anti-v, comodo firewall...spybot s/d....Vista's Defender should also be on be default..key being "should" because it acts like backup. Running in tandem, just in case. Some people don't like it and drop it, but I like to keep it going with comodo, or whatever else I might be trying at the time. I also use spysweeper.

typically it's not a good idea to have 2 anti-v's loading up at the same time

well....where the disc came from, there might be a "coa" on the case. Where did this Vista come from? separate purchase or from Dell as an auto upgrade? The auto upgrades shouldn't really be around anymore I believe but just asking.

I will just give you what I use but it's just example ;)
avg anti-v, comodo firewall...spybot s/d....Vista's Defender should also be on be default..key being "should" because it acts like backup. Running in tandem, just in case. Some people don't like it and drop it, but I like to keep it going with comodo, or whatever else I might be trying at the time. I also use spysweeper.

typically it's not a good idea to have 2 anti-v's loading up at the same time

thanks I'll keep that in mind.

well....where the disc came from, there might be a "coa" on the case. Where did this Vista come from? separate purchase or from Dell as an auto upgrade? The auto upgrades shouldn't really be around anymore I believe but just asking.

Well I got it as a refurbished item. The Vista cd came in the box with the laptop. I just figured that the key on the bottom of the laptop was the one that worked for this computer.

I think the major problem, whatever it was, is fixed. I went into Gparted and formated the drive to ntfs. Then I reinstalled and everything went smoothly. I'm now in the process of setting up my programs, connecting to the internet, etc. A couple more questions right now:

1.) During the installation I was never once asked for the product key. Is there a way to do this once Vista is already installed, either within the OS or on the internet? I don't want to have to go through the process all over again once the trial period runs out.

2.) Do I need to install McAfee? I used a couple of other virus/spam killer programs that were free and downloadable and worked better than McAfee did (which seemed to scan for hours upon hours and never coming up with any of the problems that the other free ones found. I probably won't pay for the full version. I've seen on here other suggestions for free programs that I might try instead.

And Makaveli thanks a lot for all the help.
1.) Right click Computer and select Properties. This will bring up your system properties screen. Scroll that window down and you will see the Activation part where it should say something about 3 days to activate. Since it is OEM you should not have to enter your serial. It comes already added into the disc. So just click the links to activate your Vista OS. If not you will lose cotrol of it in a few days. ;)

2.) No McAffee. If you can not affored NOD32 right now go wth AVG or Avast. Both are free and good.

If you can not activate your OS via the internet there is a number to call. It is toll free. Just use that to activate your Vista install. This happens from time to time. Just tell them your hard drive crashed.

Glad it was just something as simple as a format issue. Glad you got it resolved with GParted. Glad i was able to help. Enjoy. Come back again if you need any more help.

1.) Right click Computer and select Properties. This will bring up your system properties screen. Scroll that window down and you will see the Activation part where it should say something about 3 days to activate. Since it is OEM you should not have to enter your serial. It comes already added into the disc. So just click the links to activate your Vista OS. If not you will lose cotrol of it in a few days. ;)
yep checked all that. There is an activation code there and it tells me to click to activate, but apparently that key is no longer valid. The one on the bottom of the machine doesn't work either, I tried typing it in and also using the automated phone system. So I may have no choice but to buy another key...

2.) No McAffee. If you can not affored NOD32 right now go wth AVG or Avast. Both are free and good.

will do, thanks.

If you can not activate your OS via the internet there is a number to call. It is toll free. Just use that to activate your Vista install. This happens from time to time. Just tell them your hard drive crashed.

If they ask me for a code however, I don't think either of the two possible ones I have access to will work. But I'll see about that.

Glad it was just something as simple as a format issue. Glad you got it resolved with GParted. Glad i was able to help. Enjoy. Come back again if you need any more help.

yeah, no doubt I complicated things with my lack of technical knowledge, but just happy to get it worked out.

Well first i would call them. Tell them your situation. Tell them your hard drive crashed and that you had to get a new one. Tell them that you are using the serial given to you with the machine. They should then ask for the code given on screen. After you give it they should not give you a hassle and give you the activation code to make it legit.

I mean it is a Dell right? So the serials are legit. It is just that they were used for your first install. That is why it says they are no longer legit. OEM has only 1 internet activation. Sucks i know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom