computer screen starts blue with memory dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystique

Beta member
When my husband started his laptop he got a blue screen with the message Physical Dump as an error was found, he is running XP. He can't get it to start at all keeps going back to physical dump. Is there anything we can do???

Thanks in advance

does it start in safe mode? (press F8 just before windows loads and select "safe mode") , i need the logs from c:\windows\minidump in order to figure out whats causing em (that folder contains bsod logs) , rar/zip em and upload to http://www.upload2.net and provide the link

Insert XP CD and boot to it.
At the first prompt, hit enter (I think) to start an install.
At the next prompt, hit R (I think..my memory is bad) to repair XP.

The OS files will be overwritten, but no data will be lost.

If that doesn't fix it, try running at disk utility that will check for and repair bad sectors.

Check back if that does not fix the issue.

Hi Black_ws6,
Well we tried putting the xp disk from Dell, (xp) the problem is we both have a Dell his is a laptop mine is a PC, and when he puts the disk we have in to re boot, nothing happens. We can;t find another disk, would that disk work just as well. We both have Deminsions, his is a laptop thats the difference.

There are times when the computer will work fine then after a bit while online it goes to the blue screen.

whenever i get a blue screen this always helps

put in the operating system cd to the laptop at the begining first black dell screen press f12

then press boot from cd rom or somthing like that

it will load a bunch of stuff just wait

then once you get to the main menu of the cd which will be blue press the Recovery button usually R

it will load a files then it will take you to a command prompt and ask you for an administrative password most likley if you havent set that password just hit enter.

then it will bring you to a command prompt enter the following command

CHKDSK /r

let it run untill it finishes it takes a long time but it usually fixes the problem.

jcortes said:
whenever i get a blue screen this always helps

put in the operating system cd to the laptop at the begining first black dell screen press f12

then press boot from cd rom or somthing like that

it will load a bunch of stuff just wait

then once you get to the main menu of the cd which will be blue press the Recovery button usually R

it will load a files then it will take you to a command prompt and ask you for an administrative password most likley if you havent set that password just hit enter.

then it will bring you to a command prompt enter the following command

CHKDSK /r

let it run untill it finishes it takes a long time but it usually fixes the problem.
That will repair bad sectors on the physical drive. If that doesn't work, you can do one of two things. Find a regular copy of XP and run the repair I mentioned, or take your drive out and slave it on a PC with a working copy of XP. I have seen were the OS will detect issues with the slave drive and repair them. This was in Win2k, but it should work in XP as well.

Well here is my two cents. The blue screen that you have there is called a Blue Screen of Death or BSOD in the tech field. This is one of the worst errors that you could ever get out of your computer. I think the others are all on the right track you need to re-format the hard drive of that computer.

Thanks everyone for the replies, and the BSOD I have heard about I have never had it thank goodness, but now my husbands laptop is working fine, well for now anyway. H eid put in the dell xp that came with Dell, after that it seemed oto be ok, this is no guarantee though and I will keep all your ideas and possible cures. Hopefully we won't have to use it but you never know.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom