Computer school loan question - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2006, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Default Computer school loan question

Hi, I was wondering if I could ask all you cert guys/gals a question. I was thinking on going back to school to get my A+, NETWORK+, Linux+ and MCP, other certs at a later time.

The question I have for you is in regards to a loan. I was planning on taking out a loan of $13,000. I wouldn't have to start paying back the loan until may 2008. If I'm able to get a job as soon as I get out of school I could make payments sooner. I know the economy is tough in this industry now but if have to wait until 2008 to make the payments of $160 a month the finance charge will come out to be $16,000 final total of loan would be $29,000.

Does that sound reasonable to you or absurd as it does to me. All opinions are appreciated. The loan is based on 18 years in length at 9.4%.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

That sounds right, but Not the best approach. If you want to get the certs, you should try and get in low, and then have the company your working for help you with on the job and paid training. A fair amount of companies with do this, as long as you pass the tests, they pay for it. If you fail, well, then you pay.
I would suggest you get the A+ and N+ as they are really important for most IT firms, and then see what they will offer you. The A+ is a cake walk if you have a good handle on IT. N+ is as well, but you need to memorise the OSI model, which was the tough part for me...

If you taking boot camps, it's a waste of money if you already know some/most of what it's about.

my 2 cents...

Old 04-27-2006, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

you double-posted this.

Please avoid doing that in the future.
Closed Thread