computer quite slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohh did I not mention that. I cleaned my data up some time ago. My C: has 18% free.

That still is no where near what it needs to be. Having 1 drive just barely above the minimal limit is not going to help a old P4 system operate any better. You need to clean at least 25% if not more from the C:\ drive and at least 20% from your other drive. That might help. As I have said and now SOUL has said, the system is OLD. It isnt going to operate the same anymore. You are on ancient technology in the PC world. You cant expect a P4 to keep up with anything out there today. I already said all of this you just keep ignoring the facts. The machine cant do what you want it to do as fast as you want it to do it. It just cant do it anymore.

I use a P4 system as a file server and conversion PC for my video files, and I want to upgrade because it isn't fast enough for my conversion needs, as a main machine, a P4 system is wayy too old.

Are those drives IDE? I wouldn't be surprised if they're starting to die after 4-5 years.

Not sure. How does one check? I'm not quite sure how old the drives are. I bought this computer in 2009 from a small store, and it wasn't new.

I already said all of this you just keep ignoring the facts. The machine cant do what you want it to do as fast as you want it to do it. It just cant do it anymore.

Not ignoring, I'm just seeing what can be done if anything. Computer was keeping me happy in Feb and in April it was really slow. I doubt that sudden change came from the age. As far as the drives being full there's not really much I can do w/ that right now, except install a new TB drive which I'm considering. But in the meantime you've even acknowledged that that may or may not help.

Btw how much does the E drive free space make a difference? Earlier I had less free on C and more on E, I compensated by moving data between the drives, reasoning being C is where all the action is and E is just storage. Was this wrong logic?

Those are just partitions I am guessing.
They are both stored on the same physical drive, so moving in between one another doesn't really do any difference.

Those are just partitions I am guessing.
They are both stored on the same physical drive, so moving in between one another doesn't really do any difference.

why do u think that? i did see 2 physical drives when i opened the case

I can guarantee that if you reformat that computer it will run exactly the way it did when you got it. 99.9% of the time it is the (human element) that messes things up. Something you downloaded, all the emails, all the other "stuff". I mean seriously after a few days we start to need cleaned, don't you think after all this time that poor guy needs cleaned. It can't do what it used to do because there is too much "stuff" in the way.

I can guarantee that if you reformat that computer it will run exactly the way it did when you got it. 99.9% of the time it is the (human element) that messes things up. Something you downloaded, all the emails, all the other "stuff". I mean seriously after a few days we start to need cleaned, don't you think after all this time that poor guy needs cleaned. It can't do what it used to do because there is too much "stuff" in the way.

Interesting. Just to clarify, you mean if I was to format but to move all the data back to this drive and have this level of 'fullness' it would run this way, correct?

OK so its seemed this way for a while that the hard drive is the answer. I'm just debating whether to do that or go w/ a new second hand one. I won't be building my own and cant afford a new one so its a matter of either finding another one or getting a new drive for this.

Interesting. Just to clarify, you mean if I was to format but to move all the data back to this drive and have this level of 'fullness' it would run this way, correct?

OK so its seemed this way for a while that the hard drive is the answer. I'm just debating whether to do that or go w/ a new second hand one. I won't be building my own and cant afford a new one so its a matter of either finding another one or getting a new drive for this.

No I mean if you format windows and don't have all that stuff on there.

Formatting helps because that'd clean the registry, delete all temp and cached files, etc. I'd just buy a new 1TB drive and format it into 2 partitions. Use clonezilla or gparted to copy the contents of your main OS drive onto the 1st partition, and again to copy the secondary hdd onto the 2nd partition. Make sure your motherboard supports SATA drives though! You can google up pictures of what a sata port looks like on motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom